Helen Johnson
Helen Johnson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:02
Member (2003)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2003

I've just bought a new PC, with Windows XP Home and Outlook Express 6.0, with Acrobat Reader v.5. Twice now I've downloaded a client attachment, pdf format, only to find that I don't have access to it. Does anyone know how I can prevent this from happening? I'm currently waiting for a document to be faxed because I can't access it from my downloaded email, and I can see this being a nuisance, although it is obviously good if something does happen to be unsafe.
Any advice would be greatly a
... See more
I've just bought a new PC, with Windows XP Home and Outlook Express 6.0, with Acrobat Reader v.5. Twice now I've downloaded a client attachment, pdf format, only to find that I don't have access to it. Does anyone know how I can prevent this from happening? I'm currently waiting for a document to be faxed because I can't access it from my downloaded email, and I can see this being a nuisance, although it is obviously good if something does happen to be unsafe.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Helen
Collapse

Andres Pacheco
Andres Pacheco  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
It has happened to me.... Aug 19, 2003

...and I was able to solve it the following way:

In OE:

Tools > Options > Security

Uncheck the box that reads "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus".

For some reason, my OE reads most files as potential viruses when that box is checked. But when I unchecked it and used the usual prevention measures, I did not have any problems.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

... See more

In OE:

Uncheck the box that reads "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus".

For some reason, my OE reads most files as potential viruses when that box is checked. But when I unchecked it and used the usual prevention measures, I did not have any problems.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Andrés
Collapse

Carla Araújo
Carla Araújo  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Foward the message Aug 19, 2003

Hi Helen,

The same happened to me not long ago. I just forwarded the message to another of my e-mail addresses and I was able to open the attachment there.

Best regards,
Carla

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 00:02
English to Dutch
+ ...
Did your client lock the PDF, i.e. did /he secure it? Aug 19, 2003

Helen Johnson wrote:

Helen

Could be. Ask him first before doing anything else.

Good luck!

jmf (X)
jmf (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
or just click forward Aug 19, 2003

/quote/The same happened to me not long ago. I just forwarded the message to another of my e-mail addresses and I was able to open the attachment there.
Best regards,
Carla[/quote]

Also, just by clicking forward you can often open the attachment from the 'to be forwarded' message

[Edited at 2003-08-19 14:52]

Helen Johnson
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you SO MUCH! I can now open the attachments I have and should have no trouble now. :) Aug 19, 2003

Andrés Pacheco wrote:

In OE:

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Andrés

Helen Johnson
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, that wasn't it. The problem is now solved: security check to turn off. Thanks anyway, Helen Aug 19, 2003

Evert DELOOF-SYS wrote:

Helen Johnson wrote:

Helen

Could be. Ask him first before doing anything else.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OE has removed access to an unsafe attachment

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »