Word XP: "cannot find the thesaurus file"
Thread poster: NGK
NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:23
Sep 11, 2003

All of a sudden, when I try to use the German thesaurus function in Word XP, I get this: "Word cannot find the thesaurus file msth3GE.dll or msth232.dll".

However, these files are exactly where they should be, in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof folder. So why can't Word find them?

The German spellchecker works, and so does the English thesausrus and spellchecker.

I used the Office XP "repair" function, to no avail.

Any
... See more
All of a sudden, when I try to use the German thesaurus function in Word XP, I get this: "Word cannot find the thesaurus file msth3GE.dll or msth232.dll".

However, these files are exactly where they should be, in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof folder. So why can't Word find them?

The German spellchecker works, and so does the English thesausrus and spellchecker.

I used the Office XP "repair" function, to no avail.

Any words of wisdom?
Collapse

Christof Schneider
Christof Schneider  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:23
Member (2003)
English to German
Try Microsoft support Sep 12, 2003

Hi,

Unfortunately no words or wisdom (except the kind of "Word can't find the files where they are because Word seems to be looking elsewhere" - wisdom).
But you might want to try http://support.microsoft.com/

On that site you can:
Search Database of Support Articles, search the "Knowledge Base" for articles, browse information and FAQs by Product, find
support
... See more
Hi,

Unfortunately no words or wisdom (except the kind of "Word can't find the files where they are because Word seems to be looking elsewhere" - wisdom).
But you might want to try http://support.microsoft.com/

On that site you can:
Search Database of Support Articles, search the "Knowledge Base" for articles, browse information and FAQs by Product, find
support information by product (including common issues, frequently asked questions, instructions, and latest downloads) and you can finally post your question to a community newsgroup.

If all of the above doesn't help, you can call Microsoft and pay a service fee.

Or there is somebody with a better idea here on proz.

Anyway, good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word XP: "cannot find the thesaurus file"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »