Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:54
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Oct 21, 2003

Hello

I have Outlook Express for a specific address and Eudora for another one. It has been OK for months, but for several days now, I've been unable to open the attachements received in Outlook, I can't save them elsewhere either, so I have to forward the messages with attachments to the Eudora address and then I can open and save the attachements.

Another (small) problem I have, since I configured Outlook, is that I selected "make a sound when new messages arrive", and it doesn't sound, maybe because Eudora also has that option selected?

I can live with both problems, but if somebody knew the solution it would be great. Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Try in Outlook Express Oct 21, 2003

Hi Claudia,

Tools/Option/Security/Deactivate-Do not allow to open or save the attachment likely to contain a virus.

Good luck.

Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, that was easy! Oct 21, 2003

Thanks.

And for the little music, have you got a receipt?

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
English to Polish
+ ...
Joyful noise when new mail arrives: Options>General Oct 21, 2003

A little more than halfway down the dialogue there is the check box option "play sound when new e-mail arrives" (or something to this effect)

If it's checked, it should play a sound. Maybe your speakers are turned off, or your volume control in control panel is turned down?
Does your computer play other sounds?

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2003-10-21 11:27]

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Maybe increase the volume? Oct 21, 2003

And for the little music, have you got a receipt?
The Outlook Express new mail sound is a rather soft whistle like "e-o".
Have you ever heard it on your pc?

And does a small mail icon appear in your task bar when new mail arrives?

[Edited at 2003-10-21 11:54]

Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the problem Oct 21, 2003

If it's checked, it should play a sound. Maybe your speakers are turned off, or your volume control in control panel is turned down?
Does your computer play other sounds?

If I have both mail programs opened (Eudora and Outlook), I have a sound everytime a message arrives into Eudora, but I've never heard a sound for Outlook. Eudora was installed first, but the default one is Outlook.

[Edited at 2003-10-21 11:39]

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
They work on my computer :-) Oct 21, 2003

I installed Outlook Express 6 first and now Eudora 6 (nice program, I knew an older version) on Win98.
The Outlook sound (played in minor) is less than half as loud as the Eudora sound (played in major), but I don't think you would miss it if it would work.

[Edited at 2003-10-21 18:19]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook Express doesn't let me open or save the attachments

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs