Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:30
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Oct 21, 2003

Hello

I have Outlook Express for a specific address and Eudora for another one. It has been OK for months, but for several days now, I've been unable to open the attachements received in Outlook, I can't save them elsewhere either, so I have to forward the messages with attachments to the Eudora address and then I can open and save the attachements.

Another (small) problem I have, since I configured Outlook, is that I selected "make a sound when new messages arrive", an
... See more
Hello

I have Outlook Express for a specific address and Eudora for another one. It has been OK for months, but for several days now, I've been unable to open the attachements received in Outlook, I can't save them elsewhere either, so I have to forward the messages with attachments to the Eudora address and then I can open and save the attachements.

Another (small) problem I have, since I configured Outlook, is that I selected "make a sound when new messages arrive", and it doesn't sound, maybe because Eudora also has that option selected?

I can live with both problems, but if somebody knew the solution it would be great. Thanks.
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Try in Outlook Express Oct 21, 2003

Hi Claudia,

Tools/Option/Security/Deactivate-Do not allow to open or save the attachment likely to contain a virus.

Good luck.

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, that was easy! Oct 21, 2003

Thanks.

And for the little music, have you got a receipt?

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:30
Polish to English
+ ...
Joyful noise when new mail arrives: Options>General Oct 21, 2003

A little more than halfway down the dialogue there is the check box option "play sound when new e-mail arrives" (or something to this effect)

If it's checked, it should play a sound. Maybe your speakers are turned off, or your volume control in control panel is turned down?
Does your computer play other sounds?

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2003-10-21 11:27]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:30
English to German
+ ...
Maybe increase the volume? Oct 21, 2003

And for the little music, have you got a receipt?
The Outlook Express new mail sound is a rather soft whistle like "e-o".
Have you ever heard it on your pc?

And does a small mail icon appear in your task bar when new mail arrives?

[Edited at 2003-10-21 11:54]

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the problem Oct 21, 2003

If it's checked, it should play a sound. Maybe your speakers are turned off, or your volume control in control panel is turned down?
Does your computer play other sounds?

If I have both mail programs opened (Eudora and Outlook), I have a sound everytime a message arrives into Eudora, but I've never heard a sound for Outlook. Eudora was installed first, but the default one is Outlook.

[Edited at 2003-10-21 11:39]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:30
English to German
+ ...
They work on my computer :-) Oct 21, 2003

I installed Outlook Express 6 first and now Eudora 6 (nice program, I knew an older version) on Win98.
The Outlook sound (played in minor) is less than half as loud as the Eudora sound (played in major), but I don't think you would miss it if it would work.

[Edited at 2003-10-21 18:19]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook Express doesn't let me open or save the attachments

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »