Thread poster: Anila Mayhew (X)
Anila Mayhew (X)
Anila Mayhew (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:03
English to Albanian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2003

Recently I downloaded the latest Windows updates and have run into some problems with Outlook Expreess 6. It won't let me open any attachments that are not in Word format such as pdf or powerpoint. When I open an email that has such attachments I can actually see the attachments but I don't have access to them. At the top of the email a message appears saying "OE has removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail" at a time when I know that the attachment is coming from a saf... See more
Recently I downloaded the latest Windows updates and have run into some problems with Outlook Expreess 6. It won't let me open any attachments that are not in Word format such as pdf or powerpoint. When I open an email that has such attachments I can actually see the attachments but I don't have access to them. At the top of the email a message appears saying "OE has removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail" at a time when I know that the attachment is coming from a safe source.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can solve this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Anila
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:03
Italian to English
A temporary suggestion Dec 2, 2003

I'm having the same problems Anila (and hoping someone will give you a proper solution).
I've managed to open the attachments by clicking on "Forward". The attachment details appear in the "Subject" box and can be opened from there.

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Try in Outlook Express Dec 2, 2003

Hi Anila,

Tools/Option/Security/Deactivate-Do not allow to open or save the attachment likely to contain a virus.

Good luck.

Anila Mayhew (X)
United States
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Dec 2, 2003

Chance,

Thank you. It worked. However, does this mean that I will be more vulnerable to viruses now? I do have Norton but I have had viruses that have bypassed it.

Anila

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Reactivate-Do not allow to open or save the attachment likely to contain a virus. Dec 2, 2003

until you get another email from a safe source.

[Edited at 2003-12-04 12:49]

Anila Mayhew (X)
United States
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will do! Dec 2, 2003

chance wrote:

until when you get another email from a safe source.

Thanks for all your help and timely reply.

Anila

Florence LOUIS
Florence LOUIS  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:03
English to French
+ ...
Thanks! Dec 10, 2003

Thank you for discussing this problem that I too had recently with Outlook. And thanks for the solution. Quite easy indeed!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook Express problems

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »