Word count function in PowerPoint - True or False?
Thread poster: Eivind Lilleskjaeret
Eivind Lilleskjaeret
Eivind Lilleskjaeret  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:30
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Mar 18, 2002

Dear all!

Under File - Properties - Statistics in PowerPoint there is among other things a word count. Does anybody have any experience with this function? How does it work? Is it accurate even when it comes to text embedded in boxes? I have only tried this function once, and the result was baffling. My manual word count was 1208. The one under Properties in MY version of PP (Office 2000, English) said 1274. My colleague, however, who uses a Swedish language version, clocks
... See more
Dear all!

Under File - Properties - Statistics in PowerPoint there is among other things a word count. Does anybody have any experience with this function? How does it work? Is it accurate even when it comes to text embedded in boxes? I have only tried this function once, and the result was baffling. My manual word count was 1208. The one under Properties in MY version of PP (Office 2000, English) said 1274. My colleague, however, who uses a Swedish language version, clocks up an impressive 1443!

I look forward to your comments.

Kind regards,

Eivind
Collapse

Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
PowerPoint word count Mar 18, 2002

Hi Eivind,

Yes, I\'ve used the word count in PPT a couple of times, and the total I get matches my manual word count. I\'ve got the English version.

I didn\'t have any charts in the file, though, so perhaps it is the text incorporated in the charts that is not counted.

Daphne

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 02:30
English to Hebrew
+ ...
False :-( Mar 18, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-18 20:34, fidotext wrote:

Under File - Properties - Statistics in PowerPoint there is among other things a word count. Does anybody have any experience with this function? How does it work? Is it accurate even when it comes to text embedded in boxes?

My experience is that it ignores text embedded in boxes. One way around this, as far as charging is concerned, is to have a fla... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-18 20:34, fidotext wrote:

Under File - Properties - Statistics in PowerPoint there is among other things a word count. Does anybody have any experience with this function? How does it work? Is it accurate even when it comes to text embedded in boxes?

My experience is that it ignores text embedded in boxes. One way around this, as far as charging is concerned, is to have a flat rate per slide. Otherwise you have the **** job of counting manually.

Having said that, problems of this nature are not restricted to PP. I am translating (in Word) a long academic text, with many diagrams. Text embedded in the boxes is ignored by the wordcount function. I am only glad that I am aware of this - and will probably have to convince the client when invoicing time arrives.
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 21:30
German to English
+ ...
Export the PP file to SDLX or DéjàVu Mar 19, 2002

This way, you will probably get a more reliable word count (because both SDLX and DV will capture words contained in text boxes).

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:30
Spanish to English
Problems with PP Mar 19, 2002

1. It often doesn\'t count the words in some boxes. You can check this by going to statistics, getting the count, deleting a word, and seeing if it has noticed that there\'s one word less. I always add on the words not counted automatically in both PP and Word and nobody has ever complained about this.

2. I have PP 1997. One of the agencies I work for has 2000. The word count of 2000 is always substantially lower than the one in 1997. So we both copy into Word, and still never get the
... See more
1. It often doesn\'t count the words in some boxes. You can check this by going to statistics, getting the count, deleting a word, and seeing if it has noticed that there\'s one word less. I always add on the words not counted automatically in both PP and Word and nobody has ever complained about this.

2. I have PP 1997. One of the agencies I work for has 2000. The word count of 2000 is always substantially lower than the one in 1997. So we both copy into Word, and still never get the same count. There are never any problems with those agencies that have the same version as me, but once the difference was 1,000 words and I felt rather cheated when I was paid less.

Does anyone know why this happens? Which version is more reliable? How to get the correct count (I don\'t have the software Werner suggested) Or perhaps I should just avoid all the hassle and not do PP translations for this agency!!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-19 08:38 ]
Collapse

Eivind Lilleskjaeret
Eivind Lilleskjaeret  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A workaround: ->pdf->rtf->word Mar 19, 2002

Thanks for your advice so far. I just wanted to air a suggestion I received from elsewhere: 1) Make a pdf-file of the ppt-doc, 2) Export the pdf as rtf, 3)Open the rtf in Word and count.

I do not know if/how well this works with text boxes and such. My experiment failed when I couldn\'t find the Export to rtf-function in my version of Acrobat (4.0) -- is it a new feature?

All the best,

Eivind

German to English
+ ...
You'll need Acrobat 5.0 Mar 19, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-19 09:07, fidotext wrote:

Thanks for your advice so far. I just wanted to air a suggestion I received from elsewhere: 1) Make a pdf-file of the ppt-doc, 2) Export the pdf as rtf, 3)Open the rtf in Word and count.

I do not know if/how well this works with text boxes and such. My experiment failed when I couldn\'t find the Export to rtf-function in my version of Acrobat (4.0) -- is it a new feature?
... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-19 09:07, fidotext wrote:

All the best,

Eivind

You\'ll need 5.0 to do that, but it sounds \"insane\" - it would be easier to export the PP file into SDLX, for example. ▲ Collapse

Oksana Kornitskaja
Oksana Kornitskaja  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:30
German to Ukrainian
+ ...
- May 11, 2002

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-29 11:13 ]

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
Tried it. Apr 1, 2005

Hi Eivind,

I just tried your suggestion and, instead of an 'Export' function in Acrobat 6.0, I saw only 'Save as text,' so I did and then opened that text file in Word. The word count I got, however, was about 1000 words fewer than the 'Statistics' feature in PowerPoint gave me, so, obviously, I'm going to go with the PowerPoint count!

This was a good test, however, and gives me some reassurance that PowerPoint is not lopping too much off its word count.

St
... See more
Hi Eivind,

I just tried your suggestion and, instead of an 'Export' function in Acrobat 6.0, I saw only 'Save as text,' so I did and then opened that text file in Word. The word count I got, however, was about 1000 words fewer than the 'Statistics' feature in PowerPoint gave me, so, obviously, I'm going to go with the PowerPoint count!

This was a good test, however, and gives me some reassurance that PowerPoint is not lopping too much off its word count.

Stephanie

[Edited at 2005-04-01 16:52]
Collapse

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 10:30
Japanese to English
Try the "CountAnything" tool from Ryan Ginstrom... Dec 17, 2014

Ryan Ginstrom offers a great little tool called "CountAnything" on his website that counts words in textboxes and other objects...

http://ginstrom.com/CountAnything/

FYI

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count function in PowerPoint - True or False?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »