https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/18400-help%3A_my_excel_disappeared.html

Help: My EXCEL disappeared!!!
Thread poster: Vanessa Marques
Vanessa Marques
Vanessa Marques  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 14, 2004

Hello everyone!

Major crisis! I can't seem to open any Excel (Office 2000 Premium) file!!!! It was fine just yesterday. Whenever I click on Excel or try to open a *xls file, a box shows up saying "Micorsoft Excel for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. We're sorry for the inconvenience." I don't know what the problem is and I'm desperate! I unistalled and reinstalled Office 2000 Premium to no avail! What is happening?

Thank you very much!
Vanessa
... See more
Hello everyone!

Major crisis! I can't seem to open any Excel (Office 2000 Premium) file!!!! It was fine just yesterday. Whenever I click on Excel or try to open a *xls file, a box shows up saying "Micorsoft Excel for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. We're sorry for the inconvenience." I don't know what the problem is and I'm desperate! I unistalled and reinstalled Office 2000 Premium to no avail! What is happening?

Thank you very much!
Vanessa Marques
Collapse

Nico Wille (X)
Nico Wille (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other program installed? Feb 14, 2004

Hi Vanessa,

Did you recently installed other programs on your computer? If so, it can be that these new program installations messed up with your registry which can cause the error you receive. Most of the times installing the Office program again from scratch will not help you much, because the error is at OS level. You can try to clean up your windows registry (free programs to download on e.g. Tucows: search for windows registry) or do a re-install if you have a recent backup of
... See more
Hi Vanessa,

Did you recently installed other programs on your computer? If so, it can be that these new program installations messed up with your registry which can cause the error you receive. Most of the times installing the Office program again from scratch will not help you much, because the error is at OS level. You can try to clean up your windows registry (free programs to download on e.g. Tucows: search for windows registry) or do a re-install if you have a recent backup of your boot partition disk.

And above all, keep thinking positive! It's just Windows

Regards,
Nico
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:53
English to Polish
+ ...
Looks like a problem lies deeper in a system Feb 14, 2004

Does it happen to every Excel file? If no, try renaming the file in question.

If yes, the quick fix (I am afraid the only one I can offer remotely) is repairing/reinstalling Windows or installing another copy on a separate partition.

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
download site to help with registration problems Feb 14, 2004

As the gentleman from Spain mentioned, there's lots of free/trial software to help with this. Go to cnet.com, then click downloads, then diagnostic/utility/optimizers
then pick one of the popular ones (Ashampoo, or WinOptimizer or something like that). Download it and use it to fix registry problems.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Another quick fix Feb 14, 2004

Obviously not a long-term solution, but it may enable you to complete an order:

If you have a broadband connection, download and install OpenOffice.org (free from www.openoffice.org) and try completing the job in that.

Marc

[Edited at 2004-02-14 11:58]

Desi_vdb
Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
backup file? Feb 14, 2004

Have you tried to open up a backup file of your document? This is only useful of course if you don't have problems with other files. It is important to know if the problem is
a) in the registry: so with all files
b) your file is corrupt

Have a look at this site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=819132

You can download office
... See more
Have you tried to open up a backup file of your document? This is only useful of course if you don't have problems with other files. It is important to know if the problem is
a) in the registry: so with all files
b) your file is corrupt

Have a look at this site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=819132

You can download office 2000 service pack 3 at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5C011C70-47D0-4306-9FA4-8E92D36332FE&displaylang=EN

good luck. And if all this doesn't work, I too would suggest downloading some freeware to finish your project.
Collapse

KirstyMacC (X)
KirstyMacC (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have 2 computers. Feb 14, 2004

Have 2 PCs - not so expensive to buy a notebook these days - and instal Excel on the other one. The chances are 50/50 that, even if the program crashes on one, it won't on the other.
Having said that, I recall one time when the modem went down on 2 PCs at the same time: cable cut accidentally in road dig, plus power failure overlap, just a few hours, but still Sod's Law unbelievable .

Vanessa Marques wrote:

Hello everyone!

Thank you very much!
Vanessa Marques

MLeiria
MLeiria  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Fez alguma grande alteração entretanto? Feb 15, 2004

Se fez alguma instalação de software entre a última vez que correu o excel sem problemas e a primeira em que os teve pode haver uma relação entre as duas coisas.
Experimente restaurar o sistema para uma data anterior. Isso não vai afectar o conteúdo de quaisquer ficheiros pessoais que tenha criado entretanto. Ainda que não resulte também não prejudica.
Vá por: Iniciar/Programas/Acessórios/Ferramentas do sistema/Restaurar o sistema (ou o equivalente em inglês).

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
System Restore function Feb 15, 2004

Do you have Windows XP? If so, you could try a system restore and set your computer back to how it was before Excel went on strike. This worked for me when I had an undefineable problem with one of my programmes.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/windowsxpsystemrestore.asp
... See more
Do you have Windows XP? If so, you could try a system restore and set your computer back to how it was before Excel went on strike. This worked for me when I had an undefineable problem with one of my programmes.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/windowsxpsystemrestore.asp

Good luck!
Collapse

Vanessa Marques
Vanessa Marques  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Feb 17, 2004

Thank you everybody but Excel still refuses to work... Hopefully one day someone will come up with the solution. At least I've got a laptop...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: My EXCEL disappeared!!!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »