https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/18694-word_problem_how_to_delete_divider_lines.html

Word problem-how to delete divider lines
Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:25
Member (2003)
German to English
Feb 23, 2004

In Word, I manually created a divider line by holding down the underscore key. Then when I returned, it turned into a solid black line. I can't seem to delete it at all. It seems to also be causing me more problems by dividing into more divider lines and the like.

I tried to go into Autocorrect. But it didn't seem to do much. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:25
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is an Autocorrect function indeed Feb 23, 2004

Go to Extra - Options for autocorrection - Auto formatting during typing and deselect "frame lines". This is the option, steering what you got.

To get rid of this line, open the table symbol panel and select "No frames" for the text underneath (or above, I'm not sure) the line you got, but do not want to have.

Sorry, if the descriptions are not completly as in english Word, but I have only german here...

Kind regards
Jerzy

Matt Baird
Matt Baird
Germany
German to English
hit backspace key Feb 23, 2004

Because Microsoft loves these little auto-inputs, in this case a simple stroke of the backspace key right after hitting the return key will return the solid black line to the dividing line you created.
Now for deleting the solid line altogether, you should be able to highlight it and then delete it (if you have trouble just highlighting the line, try highlighing the line above and below as well).

Hope that helps!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
ALT+BACKSPACE Feb 23, 2004

Not only Backspace alone! ALT+BACKSPACE makes undo for the last operation (pressing ALT+BACKSPACE one after anoother time let's you undo one operation each pressing).

And please don't forget: all the MS gadgets are there TO HELP YOU, not to bring you trouble! If you do not want them, simply switch them off, but many of these are really usefull. It is very advisable to get to know the software you are working with. I remember people complaining about the "blurred red lines under thei
... See more
Not only Backspace alone! ALT+BACKSPACE makes undo for the last operation (pressing ALT+BACKSPACE one after anoother time let's you undo one operation each pressing).

And please don't forget: all the MS gadgets are there TO HELP YOU, not to bring you trouble! If you do not want them, simply switch them off, but many of these are really usefull. It is very advisable to get to know the software you are working with. I remember people complaining about the "blurred red lines under their words", when they wrote in German with english Word. Never heard about spell checking, language settings and so on...

Word offers a very good online help - so why not to use it? The old thick manuals were terrible to use, but the online help isn't. Just ask a question and you'll get the answer - mostly the one you are looking for. Learn to ask in a way to get answers you need - but in the end it is easier as to get angry with the software.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Matt Baird
Matt Baird
Germany
German to English
works in XP Feb 23, 2004

[quote]Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Perhaps this only works in Windows XP (I'm not sure because I don't remember from earlier versions). But in this case a simply stroke of the backspace key does work. In fact Microsoft has added an addition feature for autocorrect in XP in which a small icon appears that allows you to turn off that function without going to the toolbar above. I guess I have grown so used to these functions in XP and sometimes forget that we are all working with different version.

By the way, "Extras" on the German toolbar is "Tools" on the English toolbar.

Best regards,

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hope it helps Feb 23, 2004

Exact terms may differ since I have Spanish language Office in this machine (at work).

Select the area containing the bedeviled line, go to the Format menu, select "Borders and shadings", clic on the "Borders" tag, choose "no borders", accept everything.

Good luck

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Yes, Jerzy, but... Feb 24, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And please don't forget: all the MS gadgets are there TO HELP YOU, not to bring you trouble! If you do not want them, simply switch them off, but many of these are really usefull. It is very advisable to get to know the software you are working with. I remember people complaining about the "blurred red lines under their words", when they wrote in German with english Word. Never heard about spell checking, language settings and so on...

Word offers a very good online help - so why not to use it? The old thick manuals were terrible to use, but the online help isn't. Just ask a question and you'll get the answer - mostly the one you are looking for. Learn to ask in a way to get answers you need - but in the end it is easier as to get angry with the software.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Wenn ich nicht weiß, wie die Eigenschaft von Microsoft genannt wird, kann ich auch nicht danach fragen. Und wenn ich weiß, wie sie auf Englisch heißt, kann ich mein finnisches Word nicht danach fragen. Für mich sind die Online-Hilfen meistens ein Alptraum.
Aber gut, dass es bei Proz Kollegen wie dich gibt, die man fragen kann!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word problem-how to delete divider lines

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »