Thread poster: Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:04
German to English
+ ...
Feb 29, 2004

I have found 2 new search possibilities in Word 2003 and I can't find any info in the Word help or on the internet as to their function. They are called "Absatzbuchstabe" (= paragraph letter/character) and is preceded by a paragraph sign and "Bereichsbuchstabe" (area/range/.. character, preceded by a § sign) in the German version. They appear under "Sonstiges" (= miscellaneous or other?) - at the bottom of the search + replace pane next to "format". Perhaps the English names would shed more ... See more
I have found 2 new search possibilities in Word 2003 and I can't find any info in the Word help or on the internet as to their function. They are called "Absatzbuchstabe" (= paragraph letter/character) and is preceded by a paragraph sign and "Bereichsbuchstabe" (area/range/.. character, preceded by a § sign) in the German version. They appear under "Sonstiges" (= miscellaneous or other?) - at the bottom of the search + replace pane next to "format". Perhaps the English names would shed more light on their use. Does anyone know what they are for and what are they called in English?

Thanks, Jill

[Edited at 2004-02-29 16:37]

[Edited at 2004-02-29 17:22]
Collapse

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:04
French to English
Special - Section Character - Paragraph Character Mar 1, 2004

Hi,

I use Word 2003 and I looked where you asked. The menu next to Format is called Special. The two options you described are, I think in the English version, Section Character and Paragraph Character. I understand these to refer to the actual character itself, not to the paragraph delimiter used by Word when you type a carriage return.

Bruce

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:04
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Bruce Mar 2, 2004

for the info. I still can't find any explanations on the net. Very odd. I'll keep looking.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003 - info wanted on new search features

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »