Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 11, 2011

G'day everyone

I have a file in MS Word 2003 that was reviewed by someone else and by me, so the tracked changes appear in two different colours. However, the end-client wants to see just one "reviewer" and one colour of tracked changes. Is there a way in which I can change the other reviewer's ID (and colour) (or just the colour) so that there is only one colour of tracked changes in the file?

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Track changes options? Jan 11, 2011

I don't remember under which menu item these options were listed in Word 2003, but in Word 2007, in the Review menu (or however it is called in English.. in the German version it's the 6th from the left), you can define how changes look (among other things you can also set the color - either per author or one color for all)...
In the old Word version, these things were probably hidden in the Options...

Any luck there?

Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
Review Options in MS word 2000-2003 Jan 11, 2011

Hi Samuel,
I checked on MS word: the option you're looking for is under the menu "tools"->Track changes. There, you should be able to manage the revisions to a word document, define the view options and also, to define whether to accept or reject the changes.
In case of multiple revisions, one of the two should either reject or accept the comments, so that the end customer sees one editor/reviewer only in the final text

Regards,
have a nice evening

Roberto

Kitty Brussaard  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
You might try the following ... Jan 11, 2011

To display the tracked changes in one single colour only, select Tools > Options > Track Changes and then change the two different "By Author" colours into one of the two colours (or a new colour) for both authors/editors.

To change the user's name, in Word 2003 and before use Tools > Options > User Information.

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/sharing/howtousethereviewingtoolbar.html

Or go to Tools > Options > Security. Tick the box "Remove personal information from file properties on save." More details on what this does at http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/word/trackchanges/HowTrackChangesWorks.html#Security

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/sharing/howtousethereviewingtoolbar.html

GerSi  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2010)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Try Compare and Merge function Jan 11, 2011

Hello Samuel,

if you have the original file without changes, then you can try this:

To access the Compare and Merge feature, with your original document open, click Tools > Compare and Merge Documents.

You can see the detailed instructions here: pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=647

you can also try this:

follow the path: tools>options>track changes (here you have just the option to change colours)

Good luck,

Ana

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@everyone Jan 12, 2011

GerSi wrote:
If you have the original file without changes, then you can try this: ... with your original document open, click Tools > Compare and Merge Documents.

Yes, but this typically compares whole sentences or paragraphs. If the client's updated source file has one word changed in a sentence, I think he wants the updated target file to have just one word changed in that sentence too, and not the entire sentence marked as a "change".

What I had from the client was version 2 of the source text, which was basically version 1 with updates marked in tracked changes, and version 1 of the target text, and the client wanted me to turn the target text file into a "version 2", i.e. with the updates marked in tracked changes. So yes, I would have access to the original document if I simply "reject" all changes in it.

Kitty Brussaard wrote:
To display the tracked changes in one single colour only, select Tools > Options > Track Changes and then change the two different "By Author" colours into one of the two colours (or a new colour) for both authors/editors.

This is what I did in the end, thanks, although the two reviewers were still indicated by name if you hover your mouse over the change, or if you use the review pane.

To change the user's name, in Word 2003 and before use Tools > Options > User Information.

This only changes my own name, and not the names of other, previous reviewers.

Or go to Tools > Options > Security. Tick the box "Remove personal information from file properties on save."

This works for me, thanks, but my document contained bookmarks, and using this option and then saving the file broke all the bookmark references. E.g. in the TOC (which was not heading-based), all the page numbers would turn into error messages. This also happened when I did other things (e.g. deleting hidden text or editing the footers), so I'm not sure if perhaps it would have been possible somehow to prevent it.

Roberto Lipani wrote:
In case of multiple revisions, one of the two should either reject or accept the comments, so that the end customer sees one editor/reviewer only in the final text

Well, the reason I wanted to have the other reviewer's changes show up as my changes was because there were cases in which the source text and target text was the same, and I simply copied the tracked text from the source file over to the target file. Also, the updated source file contained tables that were not present in the original target file, or that were drastically altered, and it is easier to copy a complex table (with content) than to manually recreate it.

This meant, however, that the tracked changes in those copied places still bore the name of the reviewer of the source file, and I didn't want the client to become confused by the presence of multiple reviewers in the file that was supposed to have been reviewed by me alone. Ultimately, what the client wanted was a "version 2" of the target file, with changes tracked, so arguably the names of the reviewers may not have mattered, but I prefer to deliver unconfusing files.

Anyway, I've learnt my lesson now (or several lessons, in fact).

[Edited at 2011-01-12 10:14 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scripted solution Jan 12, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
Anyway, I've learnt my lesson now (or several lessons, in fact).

Theoretically, this could have been scripted using a key-pressing macro or a key-press scripting language like AHK or AU3. It is possible to show only the changed made by one, specific reviewer (without accept/rejecting the others). This means that I could have displayed the changes of the other reviewer and then redo them one by one, using the following keypresses:

For deleted text:

1. Click "Next change". This will select the next change (in this case, a deletion).
2. Reject the change. This will remove the strike-through but the text will still be selected.
3. Press Delete. This will re-delete the text, but with your own user ID.

For inserted text:

1. Click "Next change". This will select the next change (in this case, an insertion).
2. Accept the change. This will remove the underline but the text will still be selected.
3. Copy (Ctrl+C). This will copy the inserted text without the reviewer's ID.
4. Undo (Ctrl+Z). Now the insertion is underlined again, but still selected.
5. Reject the change. This will remove the selected text.
6. Paste (Ctrl+V). This will insert the text again, as a tracked insertion (underlined), with your own user ID.

Clicking "Next change" can be mapped to one script or macro or keyboard shortcut, and then the two actions (for deleted and for inserted text) can be mapped to two separate macros or scripts.

The downside (or is it an upside?) of this is that the date of the changes will also be the date that you had edited the file, and not the date that the previous reviewer had edited the file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Mark Thompson[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change reviewer ID of existing tracked changes

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2014
The leading translation software. Save 15% on ProZ.com

SDL Trados Studio provides translators with all the tools they need for translation, terminology management, review, managing projects, machine translation and more, in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »