Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:31
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Mar 14, 2004

Hi,

I want to convert a Word document to pdf and preserve the Table of Contents / List of Figures hyperlinks and have them displayed as navigation aid on acrobat's left pane. I tried with Acrobat 5 but it does not work. Would Acrobat 6 do it? Or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

------------
Spiros Doikas
http://www.translatum.gr

Elena Petelos
Elena Petelos  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:31
English to Greek
+ ...
CONVERSION/HYPERLINKS/TABLES Mar 15, 2004

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/31e8e.htm

Check if your Word version is compatible to your Abode version. You don't necessarily need 6.0.
If all else fails try Embedding from Notepad. Open document in Abode (any version), and import the parts you want by embedding from Notepad. Good Luck and I hope it works........

HRiley
HRiley  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Creating bookmarks Mar 15, 2004

Spiros Doikas wrote:

Hi,

I want to convert a Word document to pdf and preserve the Table of Contents / List of Figures hyperlinks and have them displayed as navigation aid on acrobat's left pane. I tried with Acrobat 5 but it does not work. Would Acrobat 6 do it? Or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

I used to create a lot of lengthy PDF documents (I had Acrobat 5 at the time). I'm not sure if there's any easy way to keep the original hyperlinks - what I did was to create bookmarks to match the original TOC.

Once you've created your PDF, go to the Window menu and select Bookmarks.
Then, choose the Text selection tool and select the first heading you want to include in your TOC. Press Ctrl+B and you'll see the heading text appear as a bookmark in the left-hand pane. Repeat the process for all the headings in the document.

Once you've done that, you can neaten up the presentation of the list of bookmarks by indenting the sub-headings (so that, say, sub-sections numbered 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 are all contained under chapter 1).

To do this, hold down the Ctrl key and click on all the subheading bookmarks for a particular chapter (e.g. for Chapter 2, you'd select 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.). Place your cursor over the "page" icon next to one of the selected heading titles - cursor will change to a hand shape. Then drag the selected text so that it's positioned over the main heading title; the cursor will change from a "no-entry" sign to an arrow when it's in the right position. You'll then get a warning message saying "Are you sure you want to move the selected bookmark(s)?" Click yes, and - ta-da - you'll see that the subheadings are now neatly collected under the main heading with a little + sign so that you can expand or collapse the chapter headings as you want.
Repeat the procedure for every chapter or section.

I hope these instructions are easy to follow - it sounds complicated but when you have the PDF document under your nose it should all (hopefully) become clear!

[Edited at 2004-03-15 08:09]

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Mar 15, 2004

Thank you for the useful seminar! How would I add in document links from the actually contents to the respective headers as well?

Thanks again!

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Embedding? Mar 15, 2004

elena petelos wrote:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/31e8e.htm

Check if your Word version is compatible to your Abode version. You don't necessarily need 6.0.
If all else fails try Embedding from Notepad. Open document in Abode (any version), and import the parts you want by embedding from Notepad. Good Luck and I hope it works........

Hi Elena and thanks.
How exactly do you embed from Notepad? How can this create automatically the links for TOC?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert doc to pdf and preserve TOC

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »