Lost my document (MS Word in Office XP)
Thread poster: Andrea Appel

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 14:57
English to German
+ ...
Mar 23, 2004

Hello I was just at the end of finishing of a Translation in Word and suddenly a window opened which said word will recover my files I clicked on the file I wantet and suddenly everything shut off. Earlier in the day I closed my System Restore. I have Window Office XP

GRR Do you have any suggestions
jeiks Thanks in advance Andrea


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:57
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Search in tmp folders Mar 23, 2004

And - at first - go to your Word start folder.
It is located (on a Windows XP machine) in
c:\\documents and settings\\current user\\application data\\microsoft\\word - there you will find some files, which are backups for your work.

If you don´t find there, go to you working folder, where your document was saved - possibly there are some backups.

Should this not help, go to c:\\documents and settings\\current user\\local settings\\temp and try files there, which are bigger than 0 kB and are not obviously connected with other applications.

Usually you should be able to restore your whole work in this way.
For the future set Word to autosave every single minute (every 1 minute) and let Word save a backup copy of your document. This can sometimes be of a great help.

HTH
I keep my fingers crossed
Jerzy

[Edited at 2004-03-23 23:19]

[Edited at 2004-03-23 23:21]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:27
English to Tamil
+ ...
Try renaming Mar 24, 2004

This has happened to me many times. Try the following. In the folder where you have stored the document, there will be a file whose name starts with a tilde. This will usually be the saved version of your lost document. Right-click the icon and select the rename option. Put the name of the document without the tilde. Now it should open, albeit with the saving effected up to the time of formation of the tilded file. You might have lost a few minutes of your translation, but at least not everything is lost. Before doing this, it is important to restart the system, as otherwise renaming is not allowed.
As a precaution I do the following.
I take save as copy of the translation at regular intervals. At any given time there are 2 copies of my tranlation. This helps in another manner. In a big document there might be a table of contents followed by the main body with the chapter headings matching with the contents. Once the contents are translated, I take the save as copy and tile both translations horizontally one above the other. With the help of the contents page in the save as copy, I copy paste the chapter headings in the translated file at the appropriate places in the main body. Also, when I feel there are sizeable repetitions, I can just copy paste from one version to another. I do not have any CAT tool, and this helps. There is just one save as copy. Whenever you take the save as copy, just give the same name and replace the existing file with the present save as copy.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2004-03-24 04:30]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

lien
Netherlands
Local time: 20:57
English to French
+ ...
Back up files Mar 24, 2004

Every time you create a document in Word it create a backup file at the same time automatically. (It should, you have to enable this somewhere in Word). You can set yourself how often you want what you type saved. I set it to 5mn.

More, what I do, I have a floppy in the floppy drive A: and from time to time I do save as myfile.doc in A:, i.e. I copy the file on the floppy. The comp ask if you want to replace the file already existing, you say yes.

So I have two copies of the doc. If something worse happen, I always have the copy on the floppy.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 14:57
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much for your immediate help this was very nice of you. Mar 24, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And - at first - go to your Word start folder.
It is located (on a Windows XP machine) in
c:\documents and settings\current user\application data\microsoft\word - there you will find some files, which are backups for your work.

If you don´t find there, go to you working folder, where your document was saved - possibly there are some backups.

Should this not help, go to c:\documents and settings\current user\local settings\temp and try files there, which are bigger than 0 kB and are not obviously connected with other applications.

Usually you should be able to restore your whole work in this way.
For the future set Word to autosave every single minute (every 1 minute) and let Word save a backup copy of your document. This can sometimes be of a great help.

HTH
I keep my fingers crossed
Jerzy

[Edited at 2004-03-23 23:19]

[Edited at 2004-03-23 23:21]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 14:57
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you as well for your detailed information, this was very nice of you to take your time Mar 24, 2004

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

This has happened to me many times. Try the following. In the folder where you have stored the document, there will be a file whose name starts with a tilde. This will usually be the saved version of your lost document. Right-click the icon and select the rename option. Put the name of the document without the tilde. Now it should open, albeit with the saving effected up to the time of formation of the tilded file. You might have lost a few minutes of your translation, but at least not everything is lost. Before doing this, it is important to restart the system, as otherwise renaming is not allowed.
As a precaution I do the following.
I take save as copy of the translation at regular intervals. At any given time there are 2 copies of my tranlation. This helps in another manner. In a big document there might be a table of contents followed by the main body with the chapter headings matching with the contents. Once the contents are translated, I take the save as copy and tile both translations horizontally one above the other. With the help of the contents page in the save as copy, I copy paste the chapter headings in the translated file at the appropriate places in the main body. Also, when I feel there are sizeable repetitions, I can just copy paste from one version to another. I do not have any CAT tool, and this helps. There is just one save as copy. Whenever you take the save as copy, just give the same name and replace the existing file with the present save as copy.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2004-03-24 04:30]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Ramesh Madhavan  Identity Verified

Local time: 00:27
English
+ ...
Lost Document Mar 26, 2004

Andrea @work wrote:

Hello I was just at the end of finishing of a Translation in Word and suddenly a window opened which said word will recover my files I clicked on the file I wantet and suddenly everything shut off. Earlier in the day I closed my System Restore. I have Window Office XP

GRR Do you have any suggestions
jeiks Thanks in advance Andrea


Hi,

I know that even after you DELETE files, they are resident on your Hard Disk till they are overwritten by Formatting. If you have saved your work initially with a file name, you can retrieve it in DOS mode. Not sure how to do that but I know it is posible.

Another area yhou need to look at is: Windows 98SE and above shut down the computer if they detect any virus or worm like activity that is trying to write on forbidden files/places.

R. Madhavan


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost my document (MS Word in Office XP)

Advanced search






CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums