mrchan
mrchan
Local time: 10:20
Malay to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 1, 2004

You can try this:

------------------------------------------------------------
1. Open a new blank page in MS Word 2003. (or you can try previous versions)
2. Enter the following 13 characters syntax and click enter.

=rand(200,99)

3. Observe few seconds.You can get some repetitive sentences like the following?

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

... See more
You can try this:

1. Open a new blank page in MS Word 2003. (or you can try previous versions)
2. Enter the following 13 characters syntax and click enter.

=rand(200,99)

3. Observe few seconds.You can get some repetitive sentences like the following?

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Is this normal?
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:20
Polish to English
+ ...
Not a bug Apr 1, 2004

As Tayfun notes, this is a VB command.

The first number is the number of paragraphs you generate. The second number is the number of sentences per paragraph. You can put in any numbers you like.

I seem to recall this still from Windows 3.1/ MS Word 6 days. I was told (and used this on occasion) that this is a quick way to generate empty filler text - for whatever purpose you may need it.

In my Polish version of Word the generated sentence is in Polish.
... See more
As Tayfun notes, this is a VB command.

The first number is the number of paragraphs you generate. The second number is the number of sentences per paragraph. You can put in any numbers you like.

I seem to recall this still from Windows 3.1/ MS Word 6 days. I was told (and used this on occasion) that this is a quick way to generate empty filler text - for whatever purpose you may need it.

In my Polish version of Word the generated sentence is in Polish.

HTH,
Pawel Skalinski

P.S. "The quick brown fox..." contains every letter of the English alphabet, so the sentence is also useful for testing the look of different fonts.

[Edited at 2004-04-01 09:26]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:20
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
It is an Easter Egg Apr 1, 2004

It is one of those surprising features inserted in many applications by the developers. They are called Easter Eggs (very appropriate in this period...)

There are many information on the Internet about all applications and their "Easter
... See more
It is one of those surprising features inserted in many applications by the developers. They are called Easter Eggs (very appropriate in this period...)

There are many information on the Internet about all applications and their "Easter Eggs".

For example:
http://www.eeggs.com
http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/eastereggs/
and many more...

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2004-04-01 13:30]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a bug in MS Word 2003 ???

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »