Thread poster: Laura Molinari
Laura Molinari
Laura Molinari  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:11
French to English
+ ...
Apr 6, 2004

I think there is a simple solution to this, but I can't find it.

I have been sent files by a client in .rtf format. The language is French and for some reason, any letter with any type of accent is displaying on my computer with a box instead of the letter.

The agency this came from does not have this problem so it must be a setting on my computer. I have tried re-saving as a Word document and setting the document language to French but to no avail.

Consequ
... See more
I think there is a simple solution to this, but I can't find it.

I have been sent files by a client in .rtf format. The language is French and for some reason, any letter with any type of accent is displaying on my computer with a box instead of the letter.

The agency this came from does not have this problem so it must be a setting on my computer. I have tried re-saving as a Word document and setting the document language to French but to no avail.

Consequently, I do not have this problem with any other French files, only the ones in .rtf from this particular client.

Help! Any ideas?
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:11
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check the font of the document Apr 6, 2004

Select other font, such as Arial or Times New Roman.
Usually such occurencies are corelated to not available characters in a particular font or to not available font in your computer.

HTH
Regards
Jerzy

Laura Molinari
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestion! Apr 6, 2004

Unfortunately the document is already in Times New Roman, with type of text "Normal". I tried changing to Arial, but got nothing. Hmmm...

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:11
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try other font Apr 6, 2004

Or try to set the language to French (select the whole document and set the language for selected text block to French).
Save it as Word 2.0
Close the document, reopen it - perhaps it helps. Sometimes I do this, if I see polish characters displaying wrongly.

Perhaps this may help...
Jerzy

Laura Molinari
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Font download Apr 6, 2004

Sorry Jerzy. I now see that the font of the documents is Angsana New. Still, I have tried to change the font to another one and it doesn't solve the problem.

Strangely enough, past documents I have received from this client are also Angsana New but display fine. It is only the last few batches.

My computer does not have Angsana New. Does anyone know where I can dowload it? This should solve my problem.

Thanks

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
got it Apr 6, 2004

Laura Molinari wrote:

My computer does not have Angsana New. Does anyone know where I can dowload it? This should solve my problem.

Thanks

Sending to you in private...
Grace.

peekay
peekay  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Go to Regional Options Apr 8, 2004

Laura,
If the fonts you receive from Grace do not solve the problem, you might want to look at the following option:
Go to the control pannel and specifically to Regional and Language Options. Open that up and you will see three tabs.
Try setting the first one to French Canadian or to the langauge which contains the accents you require.
I have had this probelm before and I fixed it that way but I just never quite understood how. I know only that the key s in ther somewher
... See more
Laura,
If the fonts you receive from Grace do not solve the problem, you might want to look at the following option:
Go to the control pannel and specifically to Regional and Language Options. Open that up and you will see three tabs.
Try setting the first one to French Canadian or to the langauge which contains the accents you require.
I have had this probelm before and I fixed it that way but I just never quite understood how. I know only that the key s in ther somewhere...
PK
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French accents not displaying in Word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »