https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/20199-how_do_i_find_and_replace_bullets_.html

How do I 'find and replace' bullets ?
Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 9, 2004

The WORD 2000 doc I am working on has bullet points all indicated with a simple W + space.

I want to change them all to a proper bullet, but can't figure our how to do this using 'find and replace'.

Can anybody help?

TIA:-)

[Edited at 2004-04-09 00:43]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Use styles Apr 9, 2004

In the "Find" box enter W plus space and match case OR enter W and select "match whole words".

Put cursor in the "Replace" box, select "Style" and a name of an appropriate bulleted style (you can add your own style).

Replace all.

Note that W+space are NOT replaced yet.

Again, in the "Find" box enter W plus space and match case OR enter W and select "match whole words".

In the "Replace" box click "No formatting". Make sure the box i
... See more
In the "Find" box enter W plus space and match case OR enter W and select "match whole words".

Put cursor in the "Replace" box, select "Style" and a name of an appropriate bulleted style (you can add your own style).

Replace all.

Again, in the "Find" box enter W plus space and match case OR enter W and select "match whole words".

In the "Replace" box click "No formatting". Make sure the box is empty.

Replace all.

That should do the trick. The method without styles is more complicated but it can be done too. You need to use AutoFormat for that.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Using AutoFormat Apr 9, 2004

Actually, tests indicated that the AutoFormat option is even easier.

Replace W+space with *+space in the whole document.

Select Format/Autoformatting and click Options. Unselect all options except the one concerning bulleted lists (top right). Press OK to close Options, then OK to format the document. Done.

It's been some time since I used English version of Word, so the actual working of menus etc. might be different.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Use style Apr 9, 2004

Define a bulleted style and replace the W + space with an empty string and this style. This will apply the bullets, but keep the W + space. Then replace the W + space with an empty string again, but now without any style.

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Want a particular bullet style Apr 9, 2004

Thanks to all for their suggestions, I followed the procedure I was most familiar with, which was Jaroslaw's.

So now I have proper bullets, but rather then the dots, I want to have the little arrows. This is my automatic bullet option for this text, and I thought the find/replace would use that, but it didn't.

So what should I do now to replace all the dots with arrows?

TIA:-)

Jaroslaw Michalak wrote:

Replace all.

In the "Replace" box click "No formatting". Make sure the box is empty.

Replace all.

That should do the trick. The method without styles is more complicated but it can be done too. You need to use AutoFormat for that.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Style again Apr 9, 2004

You need to change the definition of the style you applied. Choose a different bullet character for this style (Format - Style - (select the style) - Edit - Format - Numbering).

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved:-) Apr 9, 2004

I followed your instructions, Hynek, thanks:-)

Thanks to all others too.

Hynek Palatin wrote:

You need to change the definition of the style you applied. Choose a different bullet character for this style (Format - Style - (select the style) - Edit - Format - Numbering).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I 'find and replace' bullets ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »