Mobile menu

Excel changes date on invoice
Thread poster: Louise Dupont

Louise Dupont  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:47
English to French
May 3, 2004

I use Excel for invoices. After I finish a project I send the invoice to my client and print a copy for my files. The problem is: when I re-open the invoice a couple of days later, the date is changed automatically to the current date.
Can I stop Excel from doing this?

I tried to change the cell content to "Text" so it will not recognize it as the date, but it still does....

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:47
English to German
+ ...
What formula or function did you enter? May 3, 2004

Hi Louise,
Sounds as if you used a date function for that cell - what exactly did you enter?

Ralf

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Excel models May 3, 2004

I use the Excel models, and I only changed a couple of details to customize it.
I know that the formula is the problem, how can I change it?
When I click on the date, I see "DATA1" in the box, and I cannot change anything.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You need to change the cell contents May 3, 2004

Aha....
I use the Excel models, and I only changed a couple of details to customize it.
I know that the formula is the problem, how can I change it?

Normally, by just overwriting its contents.

When I click on the date, I see "DATA1" in the box, and I cannot change anything.

If you're using Excel templates provided, you may need to unprotect that cell in order to change it.

HTH, Ralf

Nedzad Selmanovic
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Use Adobe Acrobat May 4, 2004

If you use Adobe Acrobat (full version) it will incorporate into MS Word and MS Excel, and you have an opportunity to convert each and every document into .pdf and keep it stored. This is how I keep my documents separated in different folders. Once made in such formatting, they are ready to take place in my electronic and real binders (active and archived)

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I found a way but.... May 4, 2004

The problem was that the date cell was in fact 2 cells combined and I could not change anything in it. I had to "unmerge" the cells. The first cell kept the current date format, and in the other one I was able to change the content and format. I swapped the cells around and merge them again. (When you merge 2 cells the program tells you that the attributes of the left cell will be applied to the new cell).
My software is in French and I don't know all the exact terms in the English version, I hope you can understand the steps I had to do.
Thanks to all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel changes date on invoice

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs