MS Word doesn't count footnotes
Thread poster: Endre Both

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:11
Member (2002)
English to German
May 5, 2004

After working with different versions of Microsoft Word for years, I've just discovered that footnotes do not show up in Word's statistics. Just as it doesn't count text boxes -- for those who have missed a previous thread in this forum.

Endre

[Edited at 2004-05-18 07:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:11
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Include footnotes by ticking the box May 5, 2004

You can tick a box below the wordcount in Word 2000 and Word 2003 to include footnotes. If you have any problems, you can send your texts to me and I will give you the respective word counts.

PB Trans

Local time: 04:11
French to English
+ ...
See this link also May 5, 2004

http://www.proz.com/post/132208#132208

Cheers!

Ulrike Lieder  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:11
English to German
+ ...
Get Complete Word Count May 6, 2004

There's a nifty little utility out there (freeware) called Complete Word Count. Go to www.ShaunaKelly.com
and look for "Complete Word Count", install per instructions. Once installed, it puts a little button on your toolbar and gives you a nice, detailed count (listing the counts for main body, header, footer, footnotes, text boxes, comments, etc., individually, and a total for all).

I've found it to be especially useful for verifying the word count in files that have many text boxes.

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:11
Member (2002)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 15, 2004

I'm coming back a bit late, but I'd like to say thanks to all who have offered to help. I use the DéjàVu TM tool, so I had no problems getting the figure right, the problem was that I hadn't known about this limitation of Word (nor do I see a related checkbox in my version of Word2000). I had also missed the thread pointed out by Pina.

Complete Word Count from www.shaunakelly.com is indeed a nice solution (if you don't need character counts as well which it doesn't provide) even if it may not compare with commercial tools that process a variety of formats.

Thanks again for your time.
Endre

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word doesn't count footnotes

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs