https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/20925-ms_word_doesnt_count_footnotes.html

MS Word doesn't count footnotes
Thread poster: Endre Both
Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:55
English to German
May 5, 2004

After working with different versions of Microsoft Word for years, I've just discovered that footnotes do not show up in Word's statistics. Just as it doesn't count text boxes -- for those who have missed a previous thread in this forum.

Endre

[Edited at 2004-05-18 07:52]

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:55
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Include footnotes by ticking the box May 5, 2004

You can tick a box below the wordcount in Word 2000 and Word 2003 to include footnotes. If you have any problems, you can send your texts to me and I will give you the respective word counts.

PB Trans
PB Trans

Local time: 02:55
French to English
+ ...
See this link also May 5, 2004

http://www.proz.com/post/132208#132208

Cheers!

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:55
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Get Complete Word Count May 6, 2004

There's a nifty little utility out there (freeware) called Complete Word Count. Go to www.ShaunaKelly.com
and look for "Complete Word Count", install per instructions. Once installed, it puts a little button on your toolbar and gives you a nice, detailed count (listing the counts for main body, header, footer, footnotes, text boxes, comments, etc., individually, and a total for all).

I've f
... See more
There's a nifty little utility out there (freeware) called Complete Word Count. Go to www.ShaunaKelly.com
and look for "Complete Word Count", install per instructions. Once installed, it puts a little button on your toolbar and gives you a nice, detailed count (listing the counts for main body, header, footer, footnotes, text boxes, comments, etc., individually, and a total for all).

I've found it to be especially useful for verifying the word count in files that have many text boxes.
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:55
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 15, 2004

I'm coming back a bit late, but I'd like to say thanks to all who have offered to help. I use the DéjàVu TM tool, so I had no problems getting the figure right, the problem was that I hadn't known about this limitation of Word (nor do I see a related checkbox in my version of Word2000). I had also missed the thread pointed out by Pina.

Complete Word Count from www.shaunakelly.com is indeed a nic
... See more
I'm coming back a bit late, but I'd like to say thanks to all who have offered to help. I use the DéjàVu TM tool, so I had no problems getting the figure right, the problem was that I hadn't known about this limitation of Word (nor do I see a related checkbox in my version of Word2000). I had also missed the thread pointed out by Pina.

Complete Word Count from www.shaunakelly.com is indeed a nice solution (if you don't need character counts as well which it doesn't provide) even if it may not compare with commercial tools that process a variety of formats.

Thanks again for your time.
Endre
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word doesn't count footnotes

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »