https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/21009-can_i_count_words_key_strokes_in_power_point_2000.html

Can I count words/key strokes In Power Point 2000?
Thread poster: Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:54
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
May 7, 2004

Yes I can: If I copy and paste all 728 text boxes into Word I can.

Anyone having a better idea or better knowledge than I do?

TIA

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetze
... See more
Yes I can: If I copy and paste all 728 text boxes into Word I can.

Anyone having a better idea or better knowledge than I do?

TIA

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/pro/1749
(Proz.com moderator, deu>swe, Swedish)
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797
Collapse

Kirsty Mason
Kirsty Mason  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
German to English
Use Trados to extract text from PowerPoint? May 7, 2004

Not directly in PowerPoint, but one suggestion for a workaround:

If you have Trados, you can open the file in T-Window (you don't necessarily have to have translated it using Trados), then choose Trados -> Extract text, which will create a text file of all the text boxes. This text can then be pasted into Word for word counts etc.

This is not as easy as if it were possible directly in PPT, but certainly quicker than pasting each box individually..
HTH

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
yes May 7, 2004

Menu File/Porperties/Statistics

(I guess this are the right names of the (sub)menus and the tab)

Once, a client of mine mentioned another method, but I have to admit not to know how to do this:

Dear X,

>What was your method of counting the words in ppt files
>Was it File, Properties, Statistics? And if so, does this method include the non ediable words? I do n't think so, because they are part of the concerning picture.
>

... See more
Menu File/Porperties/Statistics

(I guess this are the right names of the (sub)menus and the tab)

Once, a client of mine mentioned another method, but I have to admit not to know how to do this:

Dear X,

>What was your method of counting the words in ppt files
>Was it File, Properties, Statistics? And if so, does this method include the non ediable words? I do n't think so, because they are part of the concerning picture.
>

Dear Henk,

One way to count is PPT=> PDF => RTF, which does not provide picture texts or notes if such occur in the PPT file. I think this latter happens in almost every method of count. Thus the picture texts have to be counted separately.

[Edited at 2004-05-07 15:40]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Trados 6.5 May 7, 2004

Kirsty Lees wrote:

If you have Trados, you can open the file in T-Window (you don't necessarily have to have translated it using Trados), then choose Trados -> Extract text, which will create a text file of all the text boxes. This text can then be pasted into Word for word counts etc.

Trados 6.5 can analyze PowerPoint files directly in Workbench (and translate using TagEditor).

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but be careful May 7, 2004

Trados 6.5 can analyze PowerPoint files directly in Workbench (and translate using TagEditor).[/quote]

Remember that if any of the text boxes are "grouped" Trados will ignore them. You need to first open Trados and TWindow and from the Trados menu in PP. choose Presentation Statistics and Trados will generate a txt file with all the embedded boxes. You can then go to each slide and "ungroup" that box. Then, you can analyze and translate with TagEditor.

Cheers,
Ric
... See more
Trados 6.5 can analyze PowerPoint files directly in Workbench (and translate using TagEditor).[/quote]

Remember that if any of the text boxes are "grouped" Trados will ignore them. You need to first open Trados and TWindow and from the Trados menu in PP. choose Presentation Statistics and Trados will generate a txt file with all the embedded boxes. You can then go to each slide and "ungroup" that box. Then, you can analyze and translate with TagEditor.

Cheers,
Ricardo
Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Practicount May 7, 2004

I do a lot of translating in PowerPoint and always use Practicount (from www.practiline.com if I remember rightly) for the word or line count. Practicount lets you count lines (whose length you can specify) and/or words and/or characters (with or without spaces). It's also capable of counting in PDF and Excel files, to mention only two which many other count programs don't support.

Kirsty Mason
Kirsty Mason  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
German to English
Thanks Bob May 7, 2004

Bob Kerns wrote:

[quote]I do a lot of translating in PowerPoint and always use Practicount (from www.practiline.com if I remember rightly)

Thanks, I didn't know there was such a thing - great idea for a software tool!

Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 17:54
English to Chinese
Practicount and Invoice May 7, 2004

Besides Trados, you can download free Practicount and Invoice software. It supports PDF!
www.practiline.com/download/PCountB.exe

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks everybody! May 8, 2004

and especially for Practicount, which I had already downloaded during the previous Platinum renewal campaign but hadn't installed (because I mainly translate in Word).

It works beautifully and can be recommended.

Mats

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I count words/key strokes In Power Point 2000?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »