MS Word: Can't check spelling in Spanish
Thread poster: Karin Kutscher
Karin Kutscher
Karin Kutscher  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 21, 2004

I've reinstalled MS Office 97 (my favorite Word version), and now I can't run the Spanich spellchecker in Word (it does work for English, though). I get an error message saying that it can't find the Spanish dictionaries.

Karin

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
You need to reinstal May 21, 2004

Karin Kutscher wrote:

I've reinstalled MS Office 97 (my favorite Word version), and now I can't run the Spanich spellchecker in Word (it does work for English, though). I get an error message saying that it can't find the Spanish dictionaries.

Karin

Hi Karin:

You need to reinstall the software, but this time choose "Personalized" instead of "Standard" installation. Then you need to specify "Install in my PC" or something like that for the spell checker. Give me a call and I will happily walk you through the process.
Regards,
Ricardo

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
make sure the files are in 'proof' May 23, 2004

I just had a similar problem. I lost my Dutch spell checker when my harddisk crashed.
Try to locate (your old) mssp3_ES or msgr_ES named files (anything with ES and 'LEX' below it, that are probably in a directory: common files/microsoft/proofing.

I found them on my back up hard disk, copied them to the HD I am working on now.

First try: no luck. Then it asked for the CD, which I inserted (don't know if it did anything) but then it seemed to get its act together a
... See more
I just had a similar problem. I lost my Dutch spell checker when my harddisk crashed.
Try to locate (your old) mssp3_ES or msgr_ES named files (anything with ES and 'LEX' below it, that are probably in a directory: common files/microsoft/proofing.

I found them on my back up hard disk, copied them to the HD I am working on now.

First try: no luck. Then it asked for the CD, which I inserted (don't know if it did anything) but then it seemed to get its act together and the spell checker was found. Beats me - but it worked (this all in version 2000).

You are probably going to tell me this is not a very scientific approach, but it is the way I muddled through it.

Good luck.
Collapse

Karin Kutscher
Karin Kutscher  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! :) May 24, 2004

Anjo Sterringa wrote:

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word: Can't check spelling in Spanish

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »