https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/21802-ms_word%3A_guru_wanted.html

MS Word: guru wanted
Thread poster: sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
Local time: 14:21
German to English
Jun 7, 2004

I'm translating a script where every page has a CONTINUED... at the bottom and a CONTINUED: at the top. All except the first page, of course.
I have them set at the moment as automatic footnote and headline (be patient with me, I have a German MS Office: Fuß- und Kopfzeile) but can't seem to find a way to influence the first page without deleting every headline.

How do I do it?

TIA,
sylvie

[Edited at 2004-06-07 20:29]

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:21
German to English
+ ...
Insert a section break (continuous) at the end of the first page Jun 7, 2004

I just had a lot of fun with a document like that. Then you also have to watch out for the footer on the second page and turn off "same as previous." It's a pain in the .... Same for page numbers.

MichaelRS (X)
MichaelRS (X)
Section break Jun 7, 2004

You could put a section break between the first & second page. I have an English version of Word, and it's "Insert" and then "Break" and then under the second group (section break types) "Next page".

You can then set the headers and footers for that SECTION (which is everything except the first page).

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use "Datei - Seite Einrichten - Layout - Erste Seite anders Jun 7, 2004

This will help. You´ll keep your footer an header in the whole document, and the header/footer for the first page will be different.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
Pls note: if you insert a new section in your document, it will have the same settings as the previos one. You can influence its settings as above, chossing "Übernehmen für" and selecting the proper option. Be aware, that the header/footer is by default set to "same as previous section". You can disable this
... See more
This will help. You´ll keep your footer an header in the whole document, and the header/footer for the first page will be different.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
Pls note: if you insert a new section in your document, it will have the same settings as the previos one. You can influence its settings as above, chossing "Übernehmen für" and selecting the proper option. Be aware, that the header/footer is by default set to "same as previous section". You can disable this too.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jun 7, 2004

...to Office Applications.

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Case closed, work may resume... Jun 8, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Regards
Jerzy

PS
Pls note: if you insert a new section in your document, it will have the same settings as the previos one. You can influence its settings as above, chossing "Übernehmen für" and selecting the proper option. Be aware, that the header/footer is by default set to "same as previous section". You can disable this too.

Jerzy!
It couldn't have been more simple! I take my hat off to you and will remember you in my will...

Your very happy and appreciative colleague in Berlin,
sylvie

Julia
Julia
Russian to English
+ ...
The best way Aug 24, 2004

in English Word I do following:
Insert->Reference->Footnote...
in the Format section there is a "Start At" space (which has value "2", I guess). Set it into 1, and you'll have headers/footers on the first page.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word: guru wanted

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »