Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:25
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2004

Now that I've installed Office 2003, I discovered that my foreign language disks (bought with MS Office 2000) don't work. I like to use them for spell-checks and for the thesaurus. When I try to install them, I get the error message 'please first install Office 2000'. Does anyone know a way round that?

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:25
German to English
+ ...
suggestions Jun 11, 2004

Hi Anne,

Since no-one else has any suggestions, herewith mine (which are more or less guesses).

You could try deleting ('uninstalling')Office 2003, reinstalling Office 2000 with the language packs, and then installing Office 2003 on top of Office 2000. If you're lucky, it will inherit the language resources. Of course, if that's how you already installed Office 2003, it obviously won't work. In that case, you could try the following: (1) Delete Office 2003 and reinstall
... See more
Hi Anne,

Since no-one else has any suggestions, herewith mine (which are more or less guesses).

You could try deleting ('uninstalling')Office 2003, reinstalling Office 2000 with the language packs, and then installing Office 2003 on top of Office 2000. If you're lucky, it will inherit the language resources. Of course, if that's how you already installed Office 2003, it obviously won't work. In that case, you could try the following: (1) Delete Office 2003 and reinstall Office 2000 and the language resources. (2) Locate the language resource folders (they're in numbered folders, such as 1031, 1034, etc., under Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office). (3) Copy them to a temporary folder somewhere (so they won't be deleted when Office 2003 is installed). (4) Install Office 2003. (5) Locate the language resource folders for Office 2003 and note which files are present and their names. (5) Copy the Office 2000 language resource folders to the Office 2003 folder containing the language resource folders, and rename the folders and/or files as necessary to make the names compatible with those used in Office 2003. (6) Cross your fingers, invoke your deity of choice, and start Office 2003.
However, I rather suspect that given MS's corporate strategy of extracting every possible cent from the market, you will have to buy a new language pack for Office 2003.

You could also try the MS help site and other MS technical fora.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2004-06-11 07:22]

[Edited at 2004-06-11 07:33]
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:25
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Warning about upgrading MS Office Jun 14, 2004

Thank you very much for your suggestions, Kenneth. I don't dare to go through the uninstall/reinstall route you mentioned because I've had to reinstall my computer already a few times lately and now I've got to phone up Microsoft to get them to accept my licence number; I don't want to take the risk of it being refused. But I want to warn anyone upgrading their MS Office programs that, according to the Microsoft website, you should do a customs uninstall of Office if you want the language packs... See more
Thank you very much for your suggestions, Kenneth. I don't dare to go through the uninstall/reinstall route you mentioned because I've had to reinstall my computer already a few times lately and now I've got to phone up Microsoft to get them to accept my licence number; I don't want to take the risk of it being refused. But I want to warn anyone upgrading their MS Office programs that, according to the Microsoft website, you should do a customs uninstall of Office if you want the language packs to remain on your disk. It is the only way you can retain them because once you've uninstalled them, Office 2003 won't recognise them. I'll try your trick about renaming the files. If it works, I'll let you know.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word 2000/2003 compatibility with language disks

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »