Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 16, 2004

Word 2000, Windows XP.

I need to convert my text to Arial MT and a friend explained how to use the Format Painter (brush icon), i.e. selecting text written in Arial MT, clicking on icon, then selecting text to change.

However, when I do this, it deformats (i.e. removes paragraph marks) and converts to Courier New!

Any ideas of how I can make the conversion????

TIA:-)

Ailish

PS the font is not available fee on the WWW.

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Text font Jun 16, 2004

Select the text and pick the font from the combo box in the toolbar. If you need to do it in several places, you can use the F4 key to repeat the last operation (ie. applying the font).

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work Jun 16, 2004

Hynek

Thanks, but I don't have the font, so I cannot select it.

The problem is that I don't understand why the Format Painter won't work correctly for me, as it does for my firend:-)

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Install the font...? Jun 16, 2004

Hi Ailish,
Thanks, but I don't have the font, so I cannot select it.

That would explain it...

The problem is that I don't understand why the Format Painter won't work correctly for me, as it does for my firend:-)

...could it be that Arial MT is installed on your friend's computer?

Best regards, Ralf

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Font Jun 16, 2004

You can't see a font that is not installed in your computer. But you *can* apply any font in MS Word - just select the text and type the font name in the font selection combo box. Word will display the following dialog:

"The font 'xxx' is not available on your system. Do you want to use it anyway?"

You can also use the Format Painter, but no dialog will be displayed. The font will change - you can check that in the font selection combo box after placing the cursor in the text.

Word will use a substitution font (Courier New in your case) to display the new font. The text will be probably displayed correctly on computers which have the font installed.

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you Hynek ! Jun 17, 2004

It is useful to know it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arial MT, trying to convert text font

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs