Thread poster: Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
Local time: 22:21
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 18, 2004

I don't know why, but Word (XP) is closing unexpectedly a file after I've been working on it for two hours.
When I open Word again, the following message is displayed
"Word could not recover an automatically saved document for last session" Word - WRA3032.wbk"

Can you help me understand why?
Thanks
Pam

[Edited at 2004-06-18 15:37]

[Edited at 2004-06-18 15:38]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I think I know Jun 18, 2004

Pamela Brizzola wrote:

I don't know why, but Word (XP) is closing unexpectedly a file after I've been working on it for two hours.
When I open Word again, the following message is displayed
"Word could not recover an automatically saved document for last session" Word - WRA3032.wbk"

Can you help me understand why?
Thanks
Pam

[Edited at 2004-06-18 15:37]

[Edited at 2004-06-18 15:38]
Hi! I think your comp. doesn´t have enough HD-swapping memory, Word uses .bak files to regenerate the original file, with less swapping area, it will not be possible.
Greets
brandis

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
The document format/origin Jun 18, 2004

I have the same experience. The problem was in the document which came from the customer. I had to copy the text and paste it into a new document. Then everything was OK.

The symptoms were the same - Word just closed without any warning and the unsaved work was lost. I was able to recover the translation from the translation memory, but it was very frustrating anyway. My colleague had the same problem with the document, so I'm sure it had nothing to do with my computer. But I don't
... See more
I have the same experience. The problem was in the document which came from the customer. I had to copy the text and paste it into a new document. Then everything was OK.

The symptoms were the same - Word just closed without any warning and the unsaved work was lost. I was able to recover the translation from the translation memory, but it was very frustrating anyway. My colleague had the same problem with the document, so I'm sure it had nothing to do with my computer. But I don't know if this is your case as well.
Collapse

Bianca Adriaensen
Bianca Adriaensen  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same here... Jun 18, 2004

... until I noticed somewhere on the local network someone else was also working in Word.... Closing one, leaving open mine, and the problem was over....

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Strange.. Jun 18, 2004

like many things in Microsoft products.

I have 256 MB RAM and don't work in a network, but alone.

Can you figure out something else?

I remember that, in the past, the foreign language spellchecker created problems in Word, but I've never had problems of this kind with my new PC.

The only unusual thing I did today is installing Babylon.

When the problem started, I dinsinstalled it, but the problem was still there.

Thank
... See more

I remember that, in the past, the foreign language spellchecker created problems in Word, but I've never had problems of this kind with my new PC.

Thanks in advance for any support you give me.

Pam
Collapse

Doaa El Hefnawy
Doaa El Hefnawy  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Some Suggestions Jun 18, 2004

Dear Pamela
I have not faced this problem myself but I just wanted to suggest that you take a look at this site
http://www.personal-computer-tutor.com/NNTWord.htm
It might be of some help to you.
I also found on the net a product called DocRepair that claims to be able to "recover and restore corrupted, damaged or unopenable Word files". You can download a trial
... See more
Dear Pamela
I have not faced this problem myself but I just wanted to suggest that you take a look at this site
http://www.personal-computer-tutor.com/NNTWord.htm
It might be of some help to you.
I also found on the net a product called DocRepair that claims to be able to "recover and restore corrupted, damaged or unopenable Word files". You can download a trial version from this site
http://www.jufsoft.com/docrepair/?rid=google&kid=gd0120#download

I hope this helps.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:21
English to Turkish
+ ...
Detect and Repair... Jun 18, 2004

Pamela Brizzola wrote:

Thanks in advance for any support you give me.

Pam

Well I work in a network and have 512 MB RAM. I use babylon, ifinger, OED, etc. when Word is open. So I don't think the problem is babylon. Sometimes Acrobat printer macro (or some other macros) cause problems, but Word warns the user and asks to disable the macro (see help/about microsoft office word/disabled items...)

You may use the "detect and repair" command under help menu to solve the problem.

Hope it helps

Selcuk Akyuz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word closes unexpectedly

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »