Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:24
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2004

A reputable online bookshop in the UK is selling copies of Office XP for very little money indeed. I contacted the seller, a registered company in the UK, who claims that "This is genuine software with hologram CD + keycode, is not in the normal MS cardboard box and thus does
not come with mini manual hence cheaper price" and that it's "Not oem but media only".

What does "media only" mean in this context? I've just bought a laptop and should purchase Office XP to run on it, bu
... See more
A reputable online bookshop in the UK is selling copies of Office XP for very little money indeed. I contacted the seller, a registered company in the UK, who claims that "This is genuine software with hologram CD + keycode, is not in the normal MS cardboard box and thus does
not come with mini manual hence cheaper price" and that it's "Not oem but media only".

What does "media only" mean in this context? I've just bought a laptop and should purchase Office XP to run on it, but paying a few hundred pounds when you already have an OEM copy (for use on the PC it was sold with only etc.) is galling...

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks,

Joanne

[Edited at 2004-06-25 08:16]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:24
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Ask Microsoft Jun 25, 2004

It sounds strange. I would ask Microsoft in UK about that.

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
not sure, but it seems to be okay. Jun 25, 2004

I entered "media only software" in Google and got lots of hits.
one of them says this in their FAQ:
What is CD Only or CD Media Only software?
What is Microsoft OEM software (vs. Retail box)?

Microsoft OEM software is a full version (non-upgrade) which includes the CD-ROM, the Certificate of Authenticity(COA), and the product key codes. These elements are all you will need to load and run the software. The software runs exactly the same way as the full
... See more
I entered "media only software" in Google and got lots of hits.
one of them says this in their FAQ:
What is CD Only or CD Media Only software?
What is Microsoft OEM software (vs. Retail box)?

Microsoft OEM software is a full version (non-upgrade) which includes the CD-ROM, the Certificate of Authenticity(COA), and the product key codes. These elements are all you will need to load and run the software. The software runs exactly the same way as the full retail version. The differences between OEM and Retail are: 1.) Microsoft does not supply technical support on their OEM products, 2.) You receive an installation manual instead of a full manual with OEM and 3.)OEM does not come in a box. OEM cannot be used to upgrade from a previous version (i.e. Windows 98 or Windows 2000). However, you will be able to upgrade OEM to a future release.

What is Symantec and Norton CD Only?

Symantec and Norton CD Only does not come with the box or manual. It is the actual software that comes out of the Retail Box. You can register the software online, and print the manuals from the software's "help me file." Please read the Rebate Information below.

What is OEM Software?

OEM Software was originally produced to be distributed with system hardware. Typically, no retail packaging or printed manual are included. OEM software is also usually priced lower than Retail packaged software. Like all software, the license is subject to agreement to the End User License Agreement. In the case of OEM software, the license agreement often includes a requirement that the software be bundled with PC Hardware. We do not require that approved hardware be purchased from us. Accompanying hardware requirements vary by manufacturer. The buyer is responsible for meeting the OEM purchase requirements in regards to licensing as determined by each manufacturer. Please contact the software manufacturer for any questions regarding licenses for OEM software. OEM software is not eligible for free Manufacturer support. Many manufacturers charge a per incident fee for retail or OEM software support. Some OEM Software will be shipped with Non-Warrantied System Hardware.

Installation of OEM software on an existing computer system may require the addition of new "qualifying" hardware to your PC or laptop. We cannot provide a specific list of hardware requirements as the requirements vary by manufacturer. By purchasing OEM software you become a "System Builder" and you are responsible for adherence to all requirements in the EULA and all required upgrades both hardware and software.

For more information on OEM software, First Sale & Licenses, feel free to visit some interesting informational pages regarding First Sale as it relates to Software:

First Sale Information

Softman vs Adobe

Some products come with rebates from the manufacturers. Our CD Only and OEM products do not come with any Rebates. However, our CD Only and OEM products are still ultimately less expensive than the Full Version Retail Box software that includes the Rebates.

We guarantee 100% genuine software. We work with extremely reliable vendors.
http://thecompubahn.zoovy.com/category/z50_faq/

And it's waiting fo review at Cnet: http://about-cnet.com.com/MS_Office_XP_Professional___media_only/4505-3514_7-30266765.html

It seems to be like an OEM but with a different name, not sure though...

Cheers,
Grace.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office XP media only disk?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »