Mobile menu

Excel file with a lot of Word files Embeded. Can I extract them?
Thread poster: Luca Tutino

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:11
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 21, 2004

I keep receving Excel files including many short embedded Word files within them, for translation.
The problem is that I am forced to open each single file by doubleclicking on the embedded file box in order to access the text, and this slows down the translation process dramatically.
Is there a way to export/extract the text, translate it, and the reimport it?
Or, even better, is there an alternative and faster way to access Word files embedded within Excel files?

[Edited at 2004-07-21 09:33]

Direct link Reply with quote
Baybars Araz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:11
English to Turkish
+ ...
Attention... Jul 21, 2004

Hi Luca,

As far as I know, you have to extract them one by one. But be careful... Save each MS Word file embedded in your MS Excel file separately for backup purposes. Because each of those MS Word files are saved in a temp folder in your Windows O/S when you edit them, and it is a high probability that you can lose the changes in the Word documents when you close the main MS Excel file. Therefore I suggest you to extract and then save each Word documents separately and then re-import them to your MS Excel file.

PS: I have encountered with this problem 1,5 years ago in an MS Word file containing lots of embedded MS Word and MS Excel files. I was using Office 95 at those days. I don't know how Office 2000 or Office XP is behaving now...

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel file with a lot of Word files Embeded. Can I extract them?

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs