Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:25
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jul 21, 2004

I am required to edit three files of Hindi typed in MS Word. The agency has activated the Track Changes command in order to ascertain the changes made by me. I have already done one file and fortunately the matter is almost similar in other two files also. Hence, if I copy the edited file, I won't have any need to make the changes and deletions again and it would result in saving a great deal of time and extra efforts. But I have not been able to do so despite repeated efforts. I copied the edited file (in which the additions and deletions are clearly visible), opened a new Word file and pasted the matter in the same but it just shows the corrected file whereas I want exactly the same file. I have followed another method. After copying the matter of the edited file, I opened a new Word file and enabled the Track Changes command and then pasted the copied matter. This time, the entire matter (except that appearing in Text Boxes) becomes red and this again is the corrected version which is useless for me. Interestingly, the matter in Text Boxes this time serves my purpose because it shows the additions and deletions but I want it in the entire file.

Could someone guide me in detail in this respect?

Thanks in anticipation.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:55
English to German
What you could do... Jul 21, 2004

If the other files are close to identical (and if I got your problem right), you could make a copy of your first edited file, accept all changes in that copy, and then do a compare between the second file and the copy. This should result in a file where all your changes in the first file are marked as changes in the second one as well.

HTH
Stefan

Baybars Araz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:55
English to Turkish
+ ...
which office group? Jul 21, 2004

I guess you are using Office XP.

First, take a copy of your edited file either via "Save As" command or directly copying from Windows Explorer. Then after you have opened the backup file, click Tools -> Track Changes. A new toolbar (its name is "Review") must be visible on the toolbars section at top of your MS Word document. Here click Reject Comment/Change button (it must be the forth button from the left with an X on a yellow paper). There is a dropdown list on this button. If you click "Reject All Changes in the Document", you get the original one.

PS: I have Turkish version of Office XP, therefore, button names may be different.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:55
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Compare documents Jul 21, 2004

Perhaps you could use the Compare documents function? Create the edited version of the second and third document using copy and paste and tracking changes OFF. Then use the Compare documents function to compare the documents before and after editing. The result will be similar to manually editing the file with tracking changes enabled (but probably not exactly the same). Also, I'm not sure if this is going to work with text boxes.

P.S. Stefan's post wasn't visible when I was writing this. We are suggesting the same.

[Edited at 2004-07-21 21:54]

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:25
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 23, 2004

Thanks to all of you for your valuable guidance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed in connection with Track Changes command of MS Word

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs