Mobile menu

Floating graphics scattering in Word 2003
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 04:52
German to English
Jul 22, 2004

I recently had a job with a lot of tiny little graphics as well as larger illustrations (*dozens* of graphics, not just a few). The job was to be done in Trados, but that's not really the point.

The files printed OK: every graphic (LED indicators or control panel messages next to captions) was in the proper position. Since I was to do the job in Trados, I ran the "ImagesIn/Out" macro after converting all graphics to inline images.

Strangely enough, not all the images were removed, but scattered through their respective files. Since I always make backups of original files, I wasn't in trouble.

I contacted the client (an agency) and was assured that they'd take care of the graphics, so I worked on one of backup sets. Trados removed *all* the graphics. Still no problem for me, since the agency said they'd do the heavy lifting in this regard.

After I sent the job, I decided to take a closer look at the original files, since I'd rather know what's going on, and also since I pride myself in having more than minimal competence in the tools of the trade. (when I printed, I only looked at the first pages, only one of which had a picture).

In many cases, the graphics boxes were positioned over the text they referred to, which I found strange.

My question is this: is there a way to anchor floating graphics so that they don't cover the text? The macro to convert floating graphics to inline didn't work very well, as I mentioned above.

The agency indicated that there will be a lot more files like this, and I'd like to be better prepared than I was last time.

Thanks, Kevin

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Floating graphics scattering in Word 2003

Advanced search PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs