Mobile menu

Search documents in folders
Thread poster: Virginia Parades
Virginia Parades
Local time: 17:44
English to Spanish
Aug 7, 2004

I was wondering if you could recommend me a good search software or engine to look for documents which contain a certain string or word within folders and subfolders.
I used to work with the search feature of Explorer in Windows 98, but I have found that the one that comes with Windows XP doesn't work properly.
Thanks in advance,

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moving the thread Aug 7, 2004

to the Office Applications forum

Daniela Rollmann
Italian to German
+ ...
Inforapid Search & Replace Aug 7, 2004

Hi Virginia,

I use Inforapid Search & Replace (
It is available with a German and an English user interface.
For commercial use the license costs 25 €, for private use it is freeware.

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agent Ransack Aug 7, 2004

Virginia Paradés wrote:
I was wondering if you could recommend me a good search software or engine to look for documents which contain a certain string or word within folders and subfolders.

I tried this one and it's proving good so far:

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Two approaches Aug 7, 2004

I can't recommend specific software, since I use Linux and not Windows. However, it's worth noting that there are two approaches. Some search software searches the files on your hard drive directly.

Other applications create an index. Creating the index may take some time, but you may be able to do it in the background, or when you are otherwise not using your computer. When you perform a search, the software then searches through the index, which is much faster.

Odile Montpetit  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Try DTSearch Aug 9, 2004

I find DTSearch extremely fast and reliable. In fact I use it to search through all my glossaries with a single click of a button. You can search single words or word strings, can request an exact match or set for "fuzzy searching", etc etc. You can even search through all your email messages, PDF documents, saved Web pages, Excel files, and more!!

Download the 90-day demo of the desktop version from - it's easy to install and use, and you'll soon be hooked! You are asked to create indexes, which, simply put, is just a way of telling the programme which folders and subfolders you want to search through. "Indexing" allows you to save all your settings (if you always want to search the same folders, for example). You can set up as many indexes as you want.

After 90 days, you will be asked to buy the product (about $199), but you can prolong the trial period by just hitting the Enter key until the 3 messages disappear. However, I personally am glad to pay that kind of money for a tool I can now no longer live without!! In fact, before owning Multitrans (a second-generation translation memory tool), I used DTSearch as a way of looking for previously translated material that I knew was "somewhere" in my many folders.

Hope this helps,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search documents in folders

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs