https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/24239-problem_with_autocorrect_in_word.html

Problem with AutoCorrect in Word
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:55
Czech to German
+ ...
Aug 29, 2004

Hi all,

since some time my Word 2002 (with Windows 98) is driving me mad. Every few minutes it "forgets" its language settings and consequently does not apply the words I specified in AutoCorrect for that specific language. After reloading the language everything is working fine - until the next "bout".
Is it possible that this behaviour is connected with my using Wordfast and is there anything I could do about it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cha
... See more
Hi all,

since some time my Word 2002 (with Windows 98) is driving me mad. Every few minutes it "forgets" its language settings and consequently does not apply the words I specified in AutoCorrect for that specific language. After reloading the language everything is working fine - until the next "bout".
Is it possible that this behaviour is connected with my using Wordfast and is there anything I could do about it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Charlotte (quite frustrated!)
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Language auto-detection? Aug 29, 2004

Hi Charlotte,
Have you deactivated the automatic language detection feature in Word XP? I have the German version, so the commands might be somewhat different: Tools - Language - Set Language - the Language auto-detect option should be deactivated.

HTH, Ralf

lim0nka
lim0nka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:55
English to Polish
default language settings Aug 29, 2004

When setting the default language for your document, make sure that you don't check the box next to "change the language automatically" (or whatever it is called in your Word; I only have the Polish version). In this way your Word will not change the default language every few words. It usually works in my case.
HTH,
Anetta

Charlotte Blank
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Ralf and Anetta, but... Aug 29, 2004

automatic language-detection is switched off and default language is German - I forgot to say that in my first posting, sorry.
That's what makes me wonder what happened. Every time I have to mark the whole text, go to "Set language", choose German and then it will be working for the next few minutes. I also found that it does not like to have a break - whenever I come back to my text after a few minutes of surfing it will have forgotten everything and the whole story starts again. I would
... See more
automatic language-detection is switched off and default language is German - I forgot to say that in my first posting, sorry.
That's what makes me wonder what happened. Every time I have to mark the whole text, go to "Set language", choose German and then it will be working for the next few minutes. I also found that it does not like to have a break - whenever I come back to my text after a few minutes of surfing it will have forgotten everything and the whole story starts again. I would not mind about the language itself but for the AutoCorrections it is necessary, halas!

Charlotte

PS in the first posting it should have been Windows 98, no smiley!
Collapse

AriadneR
AriadneR
English to German
+ ...
Used to happen all the time! Aug 30, 2004

Hi Charlotte,

I used to have the same problem. It hasn't got better with Word 2000, which I use now. Finally I ended up not having any autocorrection running while I do my work, but only after I saved my file, and I also use AutoCorrect only to detect typos. It doesn't really detect grammar mistakes, especially not in German.

HTH
Ariadne

Charlotte Blank
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your sympathy! Aug 31, 2004

AriadneR wrote:
It doesn't really detect grammar mistakes, especially not in German.

Hi Ariadne,

the problem is that I'm using it for making (translator's) life a bit less strenous, not for detecting mistakes: When I have texts with many repetitions of certain words I create some abbreviation and each time I type that one Word will (well, should!) automatically replace it with the normal word. But this works only within one language and so I constantly have to go to "Set language":(
But at least it's nice to hear that one is not alone...

Charlotte

Judy Yeaton
Judy Yeaton  Identity Verified
United States
Czech to English
+ ...
It may be Wordfast Oct 11, 2004

[quote]Charlotte Blank wrote:

It may very well be Wordfast - I have always had this same problem using Wordfast with Word XP. I use Autocorrect the same way you do, and I have to return to the language settings constantly. (The WF Manual warns that the Autocorrect feature may not work with Wordfast). Have you tried MetaTexis? It doesn't cause this problem - the language in the target segment stays English (in my case), and Autocorrect works fine.

Judy

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How is the setting of your Standard style? Oct 11, 2004

Then it is not only important to change the language of the whole text manually, but you should change the language settings of all styles prior to translating. This is really essential when working with CATs.

Regards
Jerzy

Matthias Staudt
Matthias Staudt  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...
German spell-check files Oct 12, 2004

Hello Everyone,

My problem is even more basic: my WORD2000 (with WIN98) was sold in Spain and has got the files for orthographic and spell-check- correction only in Spanish and French, but not in English and German (I need particularly German where I translate into).

I have found (understood?) the following:
In
C:Program_ArchivesCommon_ArchivesMSsharedPROOF (or similar)

there are several .lex and .dll – files for different languages.
... See more
Hello Everyone,

My problem is even more basic: my WORD2000 (with WIN98) was sold in Spain and has got the files for orthographic and spell-check- correction only in Spanish and French, but not in English and German (I need particularly German where I translate into).

I have found (understood?) the following:
In
C:Program_ArchivesCommon_ArchivesMSsharedPROOF (or similar)

there are several .lex and .dll – files for different languages.

On the other hand, there are the language directories
1031 (German), 1033 (English), 1034 (Spanish) and 1036 (French).
The directories for Spanish and French contain 8 files each:
Three .dll- files, one .adv-file, one .cnt-file, one .hlp-file (has a book-symbol with a question mark) and one .rul- file.
(the German directory didn´t even exist – I found out in Internet that it should be 1031).
[All these directories are not on the WIN98 – CD].
And more thing:
WORD always detected and informed about the absence of one .dll- file; I got it (msgrGE32.dll) and copied it into …PROOF and into PROOF1031, but I still receive the same message when I try to run German spell control: apparently some setup- file defines where WORD has to search and some setting has to be added (?).

Anyone has experience with these things and can tell me what to do -- where to get the necessary files for German spell-checking and which settings I have to change ?

(Having solved this problem maybe I’m going to have Charlotte’s problem, but step by step ...

Many thanks to everyone who spends his/her time on responding to this boring stuff.
Matthias

[Edited at 2004-10-12 11:35]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You cannot simply teach Word spellchecking by copying the spell checker files Oct 12, 2004

What you need is the Proofing Tool Kit for Office 2000.
You can purchase it - it is not very expensive. After getting it you will have the oportunity to choose the languages from a list of more than 40 languages.

Regards
Jerzy

Charlotte Blank
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What happened? Oct 12, 2004

all of a sudden everybody is answering to my question of several weeks ago?
First of all, thanks for all those postings. In the meantime I asked this question in yahoo's wordfast-group and Yves suggested to use the latest version of wordfast which should have done with this problem. Well, I downloaded it (and, to be sure, used the "Detect and Repair" of Word) and was very happy as everything seemed to be OK, but - strange e
... See more
all of a sudden everybody is answering to my question of several weeks ago?
First of all, thanks for all those postings. In the meantime I asked this question in yahoo's wordfast-group and Yves suggested to use the latest version of wordfast which should have done with this problem. Well, I downloaded it (and, to be sure, used the "Detect and Repair" of Word) and was very happy as everything seemed to be OK, but - strange enough - it seems as if Word (or Wordfast?) is now slowly recovering its old bad habits and gets back to forgetting the settings. Maybe I really should not use Wordfast together with autocorrection?

matist wrote:
(Having solved this problem maybe I’m going to have Charlotte’s problem, but step by step ...

I do hope you won't!

Charlotte
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with AutoCorrect in Word

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »