https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/24663-how_can_i_protect_a_ms_word_file_with_password.html

How can I protect a MS Word file with password
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 11:43
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Sep 11, 2004

I feel there is a provision in MS Word to protect our personal files being read by others, who also share our computer occasionally, by means of a password. Since they don't have the password, they cannot access such files.

I'd appreciate if you could explain the step by step procedure for doing so.

Thanks in advance.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:13
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
- Sep 11, 2004

When you click 'Save' in the Word menu, a window opens; go to the 'Tools' tab in the upper right corner. Choose 'Protection options' from the opened drop-down menu - you will find various options there, including the password-protection.

HTH,
Natalia
P.S. My Office version is 2003

[Edited at 2004-09-11 08:34]

MLeiria
MLeiria  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:13
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Follow these steps Sep 11, 2004

When you save the file follow these steps (I'm not sure if this is the exact terminology in English, as I have the Portuguese version):

File...
Save as...
Tools... (not sure on this one)
General options... (not sure on this one to)

In "General options" you'll find the space to put your password in. You'll only need to follow these steps the first time you insert the password or if you want to change it. To save the file on other ocasions a regular Save
... See more
When you save the file follow these steps (I'm not sure if this is the exact terminology in English, as I have the Portuguese version):

File...
Save as...
Tools... (not sure on this one)
General options... (not sure on this one to)

In "General options" you'll find the space to put your password in. You'll only need to follow these steps the first time you insert the password or if you want to change it. To save the file on other ocasions a regular Save will do.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:13
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Word 2000 variant Sep 11, 2004

In my version of word (Word 2000), go to Tools and General Options, which gives a space at the bottom for "password to open". Enter password, click OK, fill in same password to confirm it, click OK, save.
When you reopen the file, you now need to enter the password to open it.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 11:43
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sincere thanks to all of you. Sep 11, 2004

I thank all of you for your valuable input. Since I use MS Words' 2000 version, this tip was particularly helpful. However, I could locate "password to open" in Save Options rather than General Options. Anyway, the problem stands solved.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Jack Doughty wrote:

In my version of word (Word 2000), go to Tools and General Options, which gives a space at the bottom for "password to open". Enter password, click OK, fill in same password to confirm it, click OK, save.
When you reopen the file, you now need to enter the password to open it.

[Edited at 2004-09-12 02:51]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I protect a MS Word file with password

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »