Trouble with numbering in MS Word
Thread poster: cebice
cebice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 13, 2004

I am working on a document with two columns. The paragraphs must match column 1 and 2, i.e. Column 1 starts with paragraph 1, and Column 2 also has a paragraph 1, and so on.
Well, after the document is finished and I edit it, I noticed that one column has, for instance, paragraph 9, and the other column has paragraph 30.

I have changed them several times, but they keep meesing up.

Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?

Direct link Reply with quote
Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:53
English to Polish
+ ...
After right clicking a number in Word XP I get "Start numberig anew" Sep 13, 2004

Or whatever it is called in English.

In earlier versions you may have to fiddle with numbering options

[Edited at 2004-09-13 16:24]

[Edited at 2004-09-13 16:26]

United Kingdom
Local time: 20:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
turn of automatic numbering Sep 15, 2004

If the last hint doesn't work (also accessible via format-bullets and numbering-numbered), you can always do it manually if you don't have a table of contents:

Select format-autoformat-options and unclick automatic numbered lists (in my version in the second tab).

good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble with numbering in MS Word

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs