Mobile menu

Polish characters transform into rectangles...
Thread poster: Aleksandra Kwasnik
Aleksandra Kwasnik  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:45
Polish to German
+ ...
Oct 21, 2004

Hello everybody!

I'm "new" to the forums and I hope that you don't mind if I start with a "HELP!"

: I have a problem with Polish characters: I inserted Polish characters into a German version of a Word-doc (Windows 98) through Strg-Shortcuts (= insert symbols); my Polish proofreader had no problem with deciphering them, but the German client (German Word version, Windows NT) sees rectangles instead... It also proved to be the case with some other recipients having MACs and Windows XP - they also saw rectangles. A change of the script also did not work.

Does anybody have an idea what I should do?
Normally my "Polish" clients were located in Poland & and as they had Polish Word versions we never had such problems ...

Thank you very much in advance!
Aleksandra

[Edited at 2004-10-23 15:58]

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moving the topic Oct 21, 2004

to Office Applications forum

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

The simplest way to avoid these problems Oct 21, 2004

is to save your document with font embedding.

When you are saving a document, a window opens prompting you to name the file and choose the folder; in the top right corner of this window there is an option "Tools"; open the drop-down menu > choose "Saving options" > check "Embed TrueType fonts" and "Embed only used fonts". You are done - even a client who has no Polish fonts in his computer will be able to see them properly.

You can also reach this option from Word > Tools > Options >Saving >Embed TT fonts.

You should choose this option every time when you are saving a new document as Word "forgets" this option (it cannot be checked permanently).

HTH,
Natalia

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, but what are STRG (CTRL) Shortcuts? Oct 21, 2004

There are a lot of possibilities how to enter polish characters in Word.
The easiest is t set Word to automatically switch keyboard according to the language and then set the proper language in your document.
However, I prefer to use the programmers version, ie pressing ALT+Letter for inserting the characters. This can be achieved in two ways: you can choos the programmers layout of keyboard, which is inconvinient for a German uses, as the letters y and z are changed, or you teach Word to accept ALT+letter commands.

Regardless the method, if you save your document correctly as Word, any customer should be able to see polish characters.
Using Windows 2000/XP there should be no problem with it. On NT/98 computers your customer must install "Language Pack".

The other question is: which font did you use? If you use a specific font, then your customer will not be able to see the characters unless he has the same font.

Regards
Jerzy

Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 21, 2004

Hello Natalia,
thank you very much, unfortunately it did not work. I saved the document as you described in a second version including Fonts and sent it to a person having XP, but he still saw rectangles...

I don't know whether it will also be the case tomorrow with my client, I pray for a wonder as it was my "first job for a new client".

Thank you very much nevertheless!
Aleksandra

Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you too! Oct 21, 2004

Hello Jerzy,
Thank you very much for your quick response.

We are talking about the same option: I use STRG (= CTRL) instead of ALT. That\'s how I inserted the characters in the mentioned text.

I did not use any special font.

I did try out the option Natalia mentioned, but it did not work with an XP recipient and I dont\'t know whether it will work with my client\'s NT tomorrow.

Best regards -
Aleksandra

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:45
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Just my observations Oct 21, 2004

in addition to all above mentioned- in Word in Baltic languages (when files are transferred between countries) all works more or less fine, but we have difficulties with character "Š" -if you don't see this, it's "S" with checkmark over it, all diacritical signs are OK, but often instead of character "Š" we get the same rectangles. And I don't suppose even Bil himself knows why

Best,

Uldis

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
LEFT Alt+... Oct 21, 2004

Aleksandra, have you tried these?

Please note, that you have to use the LEFT alt key on your keyboard + numeric keyboard has to be on.

= Alt+0185
= Alt+0165

= Alt+0230
= Alt+0198

= Alt+0234
= Alt+0202

= Alt+0179
= Alt+0163

= Alt+0241
= Alt+0209

= Alt+0243
= Alt+0211

= Alt+0156
= Alt+0140

= Alt+0159
= Alt+0143

= Alt+0191
= Alt+0175

HTH
Agnieszka

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Arial Unicode MS font? Oct 22, 2004

Maybe using the Arial Unicode MS font would help? It has character sets for many languages, and hopefully all diacriticals for the European languages are included.

HTH

Piotr

Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello everybody! Oct 22, 2004

I'm overwhelmed by the amount of the help offered! - Thank you!

I cannot tell whether one of the options mentioned worked as my client's systems continues to filter out some of my mails and we have communication problems as for which mail we are talking about

As some of you might be acutely interested in the solution I'll keep you up to date

Regards,
Aleksandra

[Edited at 2004-10-22 10:25]

Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was thinking too complicated... Oct 22, 2004

... as the solution my client just proposed is the most effective one - even if from the good old days devoid of internet: he sends me his corporate writing paper (as the texts are a presentation and a letter), I print them and send them back to him

Alas, one problem solved!

Nice day to everybody!
Aleksandra

[Edited at 2004-10-23 15:59]

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
Did you try rtf? Oct 22, 2004

Hi Aleksandra,

sometimes (though not always:() this was working for me with Czech characters: Try saving your document as .rtf, maybe also a Mac will be able to read it correctly then. I'm using Windows 98 and Word 2002 as well so maybe it could be of some help to you. Nevertheless, I'm also interested in hearing about a reliable solution - if there is any!

Regards,
Charlotte

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:15
English to Tamil
+ ...
Did you try to convert to PDF Oct 24, 2004

If you have the latest version Adobe 6, you can convert your finished word document to PDF. In that case font considerations are irrelevant.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Dear all - the solution is as allways easier as one would suppose Oct 24, 2004

Please note: regardless how you enter polish characters in Word, if you save the document as Word, it uses it standard encoding, regardles, if it is german, polish, english or another language versin of Word.
When you use non-standard (this means non-Windows integrated) fonts however, you may cause problems, as the customer will not necessarily have this font.
A good example would be using a post script font with the ISO 852 encoding. Then the polish characters are not saved as such, but as ³, ý, à and so on. This is because the CP852 does include polish characters instead of other special characters. If you send such document to anyone not having the proper font, he will see those standard characters from CP850 instead. This was the way Word 6 and before, so setting the text to Polish, saving it as Word 2.0 and reopening, changing the font to ie Arial and saving again in actuall format may help.

But if you are using any new version of Word (starting with 97), you do not need any conversions and so on. Word uses Unicode format, so if you set the document language to Polish (or other language with non-stadard characters), and select Arial, Timesn New Roman or Courier New, Word chooses the correct subset of this font for that language. After saving and reopening on another PC you wll see all characters properly. When this other PC runs Windows 9x/NT4, the installing of language pack for the choosen language may be necessary. In Windows ME/2k/XP this is not necessary, if you wish to use Polish or other slavic languages. For other languages it must be checked, as AFAIR arabic languages are ie not supperted by default and must be activated.

The solution is: use standard Windows font, which your customer has too.
In this special case Aleksandra send me various versions of the documents and I could see any of the polish charatcers either at once or after changing the font to Arial.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Polish characters transform into rectangles...

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs