Mobile menu

Overtype key not working
Thread poster: Sanmar
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:38
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 22, 2004

It appears that the insert key on the right of my keyboard has stopped functioning all of a sudden. When I press this key to overtype existing text dots appear but the texts are not overtyped. Very annoying! Does anyone know what may have caused this and whether there is another way to overtype existing text?
Any tips/suggestions will be much appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote
English to Swedish
+ ...
Keyboard Oct 22, 2004

I would suggest to you to first rule out any hardware problems: plug in a different keyboard to see if your current keyboard is busted or not. If you use a laptop you can plug in an external keyboard.

If it's MS Word (application) you are talking about look at Tools/Options/Edit "use the INS key for paste" and the other editing options next to it.
If you have activated any of these by mistake, your Ins key may not work as you expect.

Do you have the same problem in every application?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Overtype key not working

Advanced search PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs