Word XP - formatting tables (row height)
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 18:39
German to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 6, 2004

I have a very large document in Word, that is all in the form of a table. Since I want to work with Trados, I would like to increase the height of all rows at once, since it would be too time consuming to modify them one by one. Unfortunately, when I select the entire table, the "Table properties" option is disabled and I can't find a way to apply my desired settings to the entire table.
Can anyone help me? I am desperate, as I can't work with the table this way, and I would like to preser
... See more
I have a very large document in Word, that is all in the form of a table. Since I want to work with Trados, I would like to increase the height of all rows at once, since it would be too time consuming to modify them one by one. Unfortunately, when I select the entire table, the "Table properties" option is disabled and I can't find a way to apply my desired settings to the entire table.
Can anyone help me? I am desperate, as I can't work with the table this way, and I would like to preserve the original formatting.
Thanks
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This means, that your table consists of more connected tables Nov 6, 2004

What you can do, is selecting the table page per page.
Then you should be able to change the row height setting for the selected part of the table.
Other possibility is to record the following macro: select ONE row, choose table properties, disable the height setting or change it to "at least", then press "next row".
What you then need is a switch, letting this macro repeat - but unfortunatelly I still do not know that trick. Nevertheless, perhaps you can ask Word/VB help file
... See more
What you can do, is selecting the table page per page.
Then you should be able to change the row height setting for the selected part of the table.
Other possibility is to record the following macro: select ONE row, choose table properties, disable the height setting or change it to "at least", then press "next row".
What you then need is a switch, letting this macro repeat - but unfortunatelly I still do not know that trick. Nevertheless, perhaps you can ask Word/VB help file for that...

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy, Nov 6, 2004

Your posting was helpful.
Your hint, that there were more tables, brought me to the ideea that maybe the first row (which is grey and empty) might be a different table, since the rest of cells (on almost 1000 pages) are identical in appearance. So I tried selecting all the cells, except for the first one, and it worked. Table properties was no longer disabled and I could change the height to "At least". Thanks a lot.

Ben Hickman
Ben Hickman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Dutch to English
Convert table to text Nov 6, 2004

Here's another idea you may find helpful: select the table and then choose "convert table to text" in the tables menu. Select "tab" separators, and Trados will nicely segment each "cell" as a separate segment. After cleaning the file, you can convert the data back to a table. Note: this doesn't work well for complex tables because it becomes difficult to see the relationship between the various cells.

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ben, Nov 6, 2004

But since we all know how well MS programs work, I prefer to use methods that are as little "invasive" as possible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word XP - formatting tables (row height)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »