Mobile menu

How do I recompose/open segmented attachments in Outlook 2003??
Thread poster: Luca Tutino

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:27
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 12, 2004

On my Win XP system I have Office 2003, and I use Outlook 2003.

I just received a messages with numbering in the subject (resp "FotoDSCF001[1/3]" "FotoDSCF001[2/3]" and "FotoDSCF001[3/3]") from an Outlook Express user. The sender told me that he just sent a few JPG files attached.

How am I supposed to recompose and open this segmented attachment?

According to the sender I should use the option "Combine and decode" from the "Message" menu. Howver Outlook 2003 does not offer a Message menu at all!

Am I missing something essential?

Direct link Reply with quote
English to Swedish
+ ...
Recompose segmented attachments Nov 13, 2004

Here's a technical answer to your problem:
The "combine & decode" command appears in the Message menu of Outlook Express
(OE) beacuse OE can be used as a newsreader, or a client for newsgroups. In newsgroups it is common to split large binary (not text) files over several successive posts for performance reasons, and the newsreader can recombine the numbered parts.

Binary files are also encoded as text in order to be posted, and news clients decode the assembled parts back to a binary file, like a jpeg image. Newsgroups focussing on (usually image) binary file postings often have "bin" in the title, as in alt.bin.something.something.

Outlook 2003 does not support newsgroups, but rather launches OE as a separate application to read news. Therefore Outlook 2003 does not seem to have the ability to combine and decode the numbered parts. You can try:

1. Get your friend to combine the parts and send again as a single attachment. 2. If the messages are still on your mail server, launch OE, log on to your mail server and see if you can combine & decode the messages. Be careful you don't set OE as your default mail client or import all your mail when it starts and wants to be configured. 3. Try assembling the parts yourself and decoding with WinZip or some other compression tool which understands the encoding.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I recompose/open segmented attachments in Outlook 2003??

Advanced search

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs