Mobile menu

How do I hide headers and footers?
Thread poster: xxxPRen
xxxPRen  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:35
French to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2004

I"m creating a document in Word, and I don't want the header and footer to appear on the title page of a document, only on pages 2 and after. How do I hide the header and footer on the title page? (I've tried section break to no avail).

Thanks for any help

Direct link Reply with quote

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:35
Member (2002)
English to German
Section breaks Nov 24, 2004

...are the right way to go about it. When you insert a section break, the sections both before and after it contain the same header and footer. So you need to remove the footer from the first section manually.

However, be aware that when inserting the section break, the headers and footers of both sections are linked, i.e. if you delete them in one section, they disappear in the other as well. So you first have to de-link the second section's header and footer (there is an icon for that which is displayed when viewing headers/footers -- use the tooltips to find out which one).

At least that's how I remember it works -- feel free to give it a try on a copy of your document.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:35
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use pagination options Nov 24, 2004

Go to page setup options and choose the layout tab.
Then check the option "First page different".
These are how these options are called in my german Word, but they must be similar in other versions too.
Using this option you can create a document which:
- has a different header/footer on the first page (or no header/footer)
- has a different header/footer for right/left (pair and unpair page numbers) page

All this options may be used together with sections, so after that you can have a document with five chapters with title pages, having individuall headers/footers, and individuall headers/footers for each chapter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I hide headers and footers?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs