https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/27109-problem_in_word_xp%3A_write_protected_embedded_font.html

Problem in Word XP: write-protected embedded font
Thread poster: Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:21
English to German
+ ...
Nov 30, 2004

Hi all,
I use MS Office XP SP-2 under Win2k SP4.

When opening a Word file received from a customer, I get the following error message:

Dieses Dokument kann nicht bearbeitet werden, weil es eine schreibgeschützte eingebettete Schriftart enthält.

This document cannot be edited as it contains a write-protected embedded font.

(Note that I use the German version of Word, so the English error message is my translation.)

As a result of this problem, no editing is possible; neither is it possible to save it under a different name.

Any suggestions?

MTIA - best regards, Ralf

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Does changing fonts help Nov 30, 2004

Never seen this in a Word document before but did you try to change the problem font to a different, "regular" font? A PDF document would behave like that but Word? Interesting...

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Can you copy it? Nov 30, 2004

Can you select all, copy and paste it in a new document?

Best,
Esther

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I would if I could - but I can't... Nov 30, 2004

Thanks, Klaus - thing is, the font used in the document is the not-so-exotic Times New Roman...

It's not possible to change the fonts - the relevant fields are disabled.

Cheers, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Second-best solution Nov 30, 2004

Thanks, Esther.

That's a possibility. However, in this case I would have to re-format the entire document, as the customer did not provide a template (surprise, surprise...).

Best regards,
Ralf

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
ask your customer to deliver the font set Nov 30, 2004

Hi Ralf, I think I know this type of files. In my case, if special fonts ( protected types) are used, I normally receive the necessary font set from the customer, just to be in a position to access the area to be processed. Example Hewlett Packard has it´s own special set (graphic fonts ie., things that cannot be processed in a font engine, Font Engine = is a tool to design fonts, adobe has a few just like others as well), and all their files are delivered with a font set. I need to show my sys... See more
Hi Ralf, I think I know this type of files. In my case, if special fonts ( protected types) are used, I normally receive the necessary font set from the customer, just to be in a position to access the area to be processed. Example Hewlett Packard has it´s own special set (graphic fonts ie., things that cannot be processed in a font engine, Font Engine = is a tool to design fonts, adobe has a few just like others as well), and all their files are delivered with a font set. I need to show my system where to look for the required fonts, and process the document from here in Trados.BrandisCollapse

Azra Obalı (Akifgil) (X)
Azra Obalı (Akifgil) (X)
Local time: 21:21
Turkish to English
+ ...
I'm afraid you try to execute a virus file. Nov 30, 2004

I suggest you not to open that file once again but take a printout and then translate and re-format it.
I noticed a similar message on an excel file I received from Hong Kong, and after several trials, it was awaken and collapsed my entire system.
Hope it wouldn't the case for you
Azra

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Thanks, Esther.

That's a possibility. However, in this case I would have to re-format the entire document, as the customer did not provide a template (surprise, surprise...).

Best regards,
Ralf

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
hmmm -- sounds like a Word bug and an ignorant (maybe) client Nov 30, 2004

Quote from the MS Word Help file under the subject of embedding TrueType fonts in documents:

'Note... You may be able to reduce the file size of your document by selecting the Embed characters in use only check box. This option embeds only the font styles used in your document. Also, if you used 32 or fewer characters of a font — for example, a few symbols or a headline — Word embeds only those characters. Note that this option is most useful for documents that other users plan
... See more
Quote from the MS Word Help file under the subject of embedding TrueType fonts in documents:

'Note... You may be able to reduce the file size of your document by selecting the Embed characters in use only check box. This option embeds only the font styles used in your document. Also, if you used 32 or fewer characters of a font — for example, a few symbols or a headline — Word embeds only those characters. Note that this option is most useful for documents that other users plan to view or print only, because the unembedded font characters and styles aren't available for editing.'

The last sentence arouses my curiosity -- maybe if someone embedded TNR with 'Embed characters in use only' enabled, Word insists on using the embedded font subset and is too stupid to realise that the full font is available on the system. Why in the world anyone would want to embed TNR in a document is beyond me, but you never know...

It sounds like you're basically SOL with editing the document. Maybe you can OCR it?

Good luck.
Ken

[Edited at 2004-11-30 19:22]

[Edited at 2004-11-30 19:24]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
- Nov 30, 2004

Ralf, if you are able to copy the entire document, then copy it, open a new document, select Edit > Paste special > formatted text (RTF). You should get a formatted copy of your document.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:21
English to German
+ ...
Example file Dec 1, 2004

If anyone wants to play around with such a file,
here is an example:

http://www.fingertipsoft.com/fonts/cyrfont1/cyrfont1.doc

from the page:

http://www.fingertipsoft.com/fonts/cyrfont1/printout.html

Have fun
... See more
If anyone wants to play around with such a file,
here is an example:

http://www.fingertipsoft.com/fonts/cyrfont1/cyrfont1.doc

from the page:

http://www.fingertipsoft.com/fonts/cyrfont1/printout.html

Have fun
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it sorted out Dec 1, 2004

Hi all,
We managed to solve the immediate problem, although I'm not sure what exactly the problem was. The solution was to open the file on a different system (thanks to Jerzy for helping me out here!), and to save it under a different file name there.

A few additional remarks:
- I don't believe a virus or worm was at work here.
- Copy & paste would have been the last resort, but I preferred not to use that, given the resulting formatting issues.

Thank
... See more
Hi all,
We managed to solve the immediate problem, although I'm not sure what exactly the problem was. The solution was to open the file on a different system (thanks to Jerzy for helping me out here!), and to save it under a different file name there.

- Copy & paste would have been the last resort, but I preferred not to use that, given the resulting formatting issues.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Kind regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Azra Obalı (Akifgil) (X)
Azra Obalı (Akifgil) (X)
Local time: 21:21
Turkish to English
+ ...
At any rate Dec 1, 2004

If you haven't got any comment from the author of that file, I suggest deleting the original file from your system.
Suerte, colleague

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Kind regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem in Word XP: write-protected embedded font

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »