Date conversion macro exists? (Excel)
Thread poster: Csaba Ban

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:38
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dec 9, 2004

I have two enormous Excel files, with 25 sheets in each of them, and around 40 rows in each sheet.
In far too many cases there are dates embedded in text. Is there any way I can easily mass-convert such dates into my target language?

The source dates are in American format:
mm/dd/yyyy, etc. 12/09/2004
I would need them in Hungarian format:
yyyy. mmm. dd., etc. 2004. dec. 9. (or 09)

I suspect there is no easy way to do this. Again, these are not the only content of the cells, but most of the time they are within some text.

If someone else has encountered a similar task and perhaps developed a macro for it, could you share it with me please? (I could adapt it with a list of Hungarian months)

Else, can you give me a hint on how to do this?

Thank you... this would save many many hours.

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Can you export the sheets to .txt files and reimport them? Dec 9, 2004

Hi Csaba,

In text format I could easily write an .exe program in Perl to do this conversion (half an hour?).

But my knowledge of Excel VBA is too poor for this (several days?).

PS: In Excel 2000 I can export all of the sheets at once to HTML (which I consider as text format) and reimport them together..

[Edited at 2004-12-09 21:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Date conversion macro exists? (Excel)

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs