How to count % of change in Word?
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:59
Czech to German
+ ...
Dec 21, 2004

Hi all,

I have got two rather long documents in Word and the client wants me to compare them, getting the amount of change in percent. I tried with Plustools but it did not work because the two texts do not have similar paragraphs. "Merging" does not give me the percentage either, only showing the differences. So if anyone had an idea, I'd be very grateful indeed!

Charlotte

@ Hynek: Thanks for this, unfortunately I don't have Trados but I'll try with Wordfast.

[Edited at 2004-12-21 18:02]

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:59
English to Czech
+ ...
Use a CAT tool Dec 21, 2004

I think this is a job for a CAT tool. For example in Trados: Create an empty MT, analyze the first document, then remove it from the Analyse Files window, check "Use TM from previous analysis" and analyze the second document.

Mihail M Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 09:59
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Analyze with Wordfast Dec 22, 2004

The function is Analyze. You have to have a TM created to do this analysis. When you install Wordfast and run Word with open the te document you would like to count, click the last button,which looks like "f" . Then Tools (from the background row) > Document - here chose the documentyou want to analyze, then continue ... Tools (next to Document tab) >Analize. A new document appears. Its name is Analysis.doc. Look for the row Total, and column Words. This is the number of words.

Good luck!

Mihail M Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 09:59
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
the previous is the way of counting the words ia a document... sorry! Dec 22, 2004

I missed that you were looking for counting the % of changes/differencies.

Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
WordDocDiff Dec 22, 2004

This lightweight program is very user friendly (great for customers!).
You can download it from http://www.softinterface.com/
You run the application and choose Compare Files, select the right path and then press Compare Files. When it's done, you can create and save a report in html which will highlight additions, deletions and changes using different colors in such a way you can't miss it.
Regards, ALEJANDRA

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count % of change in Word?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums