How to get rid of capital letter in tables
Thread poster: Optical
Optical
Optical
Local time: 20:47
English to German
Jan 5, 2005

Hi all,

whenever I create a table in Word, the first letter of each first word in a row is automatically capitalised after I leave the row with the tab key. However, I need the words with lower case letters. Of course I can go back to each word I need to be changed, change the first letter from upper case to lower case and leave the row with the arrow down key, but this can be quite tiresome with large tables.
Does anyone know whether this can be done in a simpler way?
<
... See more
Hi all,

whenever I create a table in Word, the first letter of each first word in a row is automatically capitalised after I leave the row with the tab key. However, I need the words with lower case letters. Of course I can go back to each word I need to be changed, change the first letter from upper case to lower case and leave the row with the arrow down key, but this can be quite tiresome with large tables.
Does anyone know whether this can be done in a simpler way?

Thanks for your help!
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:47
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Tools-Auto Correct options Jan 5, 2005

and uncheck "Capitalize the first letter of a sentence".
Look also through other options.

Uldis

Optical
Optical
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
still capitalised Jan 5, 2005

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

and uncheck "Capitalize the first letter of a sentence".
Look also through other options.

Uldis

Hello Uldis,

thank you for your suggestion. I tried this option, but it doesn't work. I also closed an re-opened Word after unchecking the box, but the letters are still being capitalised when I use the tab key.

Regards,
Andreas

Optical
Optical
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved Jan 5, 2005

Sorry to bother you!
I could solve the problem by unchecking the box "begin each row of a table with capitalised letter".

Thanks again for you help.

Cheers,
Andreas

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Where is "begin each row of a table with capitalised letter"? Jul 31, 2008

I would dearly love to stop Word from capitalising automatically in tables, but I couldn't find the function "begin each row of a table with capitalised letter" - can you tell me where it is?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Capitalization in Tables Jul 31, 2008

Tools menu > Autocorrect > 'autocorrect' tab, uncheck 'capitalize first letter of cell' box (on mine, it's the 3rd box down, not counting the very top 'display autocorrect options' one)

This is from my FR localized version of Word, so I might have got the wording slightly wrong.

This is Word XP (Pro), by the way, so earlier versions, or the Home version, might possibly not include this option? However, it seems daft to me to offer the facility if you don't also offer th
... See more
Tools menu > Autocorrect > 'autocorrect' tab, uncheck 'capitalize first letter of cell' box (on mine, it's the 3rd box down, not counting the very top 'display autocorrect options' one)

This is from my FR localized version of Word, so I might have got the wording slightly wrong.

This is Word XP (Pro), by the way, so earlier versions, or the Home version, might possibly not include this option? However, it seems daft to me to offer the facility if you don't also offer the means to turn it off!

[Edited at 2008-07-31 12:48]
Collapse

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Word 2000 (9.0.2812) has different menus Jul 31, 2008

Thanks Tony

The version I'm using is the Italian localised version of Word 2000 (9.0.2812).

When I open this menu I get something like:

- correct double caps at start of word

- capital letter at beginning of sentence

- capitalise days of week

- correct accidental use of Caps Lock key

So it appears that if I do get the chance to turn it off, it will be from another menu somewhere else...

... See more
Thanks Tony

The version I'm using is the Italian localised version of Word 2000 (9.0.2812).

When I open this menu I get something like:

- correct double caps at start of word

- capital letter at beginning of sentence

- capitalise days of week

- correct accidental use of Caps Lock key

So it appears that if I do get the chance to turn it off, it will be from another menu somewhere else...

Any ideas?
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sorry, no! Jul 31, 2008

I didn't even know the facility existed in the first place, and I have never noticed this check box before.

As a last resort it might be worth trying Word 'Help' — that's actually where I found it just now!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get rid of capital letter in tables

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »