https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/28110-find_replace_in_word_does_not_work.html

Find/Replace in Word does not work
Thread poster: Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:12
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jan 5, 2005

Hello!

My find/replace function hassuddently gone deaf and blind in my word documents. When I want to find a term I have found a better translation for, it says it cannot find a single of these terms. But I know it is there. I even tried looking for other words, the ones rutinely used in any text document. Nothing.

Does it sound familiar to anybody? Any solutions? I am kind of desterate as I have this 20 000 word file and several terms I was hoping to replace with the
... See more
Hello!

My find/replace function hassuddently gone deaf and blind in my word documents. When I want to find a term I have found a better translation for, it says it cannot find a single of these terms. But I know it is there. I even tried looking for other words, the ones rutinely used in any text document. Nothing.

Does it sound familiar to anybody? Any solutions? I am kind of desterate as I have this 20 000 word file and several terms I was hoping to replace with the correct translations at a later stage. This later stage has arrived but it seems I have to read through all the file again.

My operating system is Win XP, Word 2003.

Thanks!
Collapse

Rachel Vanarsdall
Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:12
Member (2004)
French to English
Click on the "more" button Jan 5, 2005

The first thing I would do is click on the "more" button on the Find/Replace window. You may have accidentally changed the "search options" in some way (match case, something like that).

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:12
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That did the trick Jan 5, 2005

Thanks a lot! Apparently I have clicked the formatting icon. I did play around with all the setting to see if it will solve the problem, but only now thought of unclicking the formatting button.
Thanks again!

[Edited at 2005-01-05 15:41]

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 14:12
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Options and Format Jan 5, 2005

Look at the lines following "Find what:" and replace with to see if you have Options or Format lists, e.g.:

Find what: xyz
Options: Match case
Format: Italic, Arial
Replace with: abc
Format: Lower case

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find/Replace in Word does not work

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »