Mobile menu

Office 2003 upgrade
Thread poster: Tansy

Tansy  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:53
Member (2008)
German to English
Jan 6, 2005

I recently bought a new computer which included a test version of Office 2003. I now want to buy a full version, but am a bit confused about the options available. I only need Word, Excel and Powerpoint and do not need any of the further applications. I see that there is a cheaper student/teacher version available with these applications but 1) Do I need to prove that I'm a student/teacher to buy this (I'm not) and 2) As far as I can make out I'd have to completely remove the current Office test version to install this, which would be a bit of a nuisance (and I assume would entail reinstalling Trados)

If I buy the standard edition instead of the student edition - where I think I would only have to enter a product key and not re-install anything - I can't seem to find if I would be entitled to an upgrade discount (I am updating from Office 97).

Can anyone advise on this?

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:53
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Check the compatibility between Office and Trados Jan 6, 2005

Dear Tonyt,

I know for sure that to purchase Microsoft products as a teacher/student you must produce evidence of your teacher/student status, a letter from your school or something similar.

I cannot say if you need to remove/uninstall the current Office test version or intall the new version over it but, in any case, reinstalling Trados is a non issue.
It takes 2 minutes and usually doesn't cause any trouble.

The real issue is a possible incompatibility between the Trados version that you intend to use and the Office version that you intend to install. Contacting Trados in advance, or visit their website, to check the compatibility between the two applications.

Gianfranco

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Student version Jan 6, 2005

Hello,

why do you want to buy a student version if you are not a studen ? It will be an illegal use of the version. Then you can copy a CD. It's the same.

Maybe you can take a look on ebay for buy a regular version.

With kind regards

Hans

Tansy  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
No illegal actions planned Jan 7, 2005

I wasn't planning to do anything illegal. I simply read that the student/teacher version is licensed for 3 computers and I was wondering if this version can be purchased by anyone who doesn't need more than 3 licenses. But my question has kindly been answered by Gianfranco.
After further research, I think that Office 2003 standard upgrade is the version I'm after. But I'll try and check with customer service before ordering.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 2003 upgrade

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs