Thread poster: Dagmar Lehner
Dagmar Lehner
Dagmar Lehner
Austria
Local time: 06:50
Italian to German
+ ...
May 16, 2002

How can I count the text in excel-files?Opening the xls-file in word oder copying it into a word-file does not really work: it counts every single cell as at least one sign!

Kind regards and thanks in advance!

Martina

PS: Sorry for my english, I\'m french-translator. ;o)

Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
you can try... May 16, 2002

... highlighting the text in Excel and then copying it into a Word file with CTRL + C and CTRL + V, it should not count each cell as a word (at least it has never happened to me).

Hope it helps!

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:50
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes, Only Words... May 16, 2002

Hi,

I highlight the whole text, copy and paste it into a MS Word file using \"Inhalte einfügen\" (paste content??? Sorry, my sys is in German, menu \"Edit\" - Bearbeiten): pure word count.

Actually, if I am not working with SDLX, I do this with the original text, save it as a *rft file, translate, count words and only then I copy and paste the translation into an *.xls file... I am lazy opening and closing cells dri
... See more
Hi,

I highlight the whole text, copy and paste it into a MS Word file using \"Inhalte einfügen\" (paste content??? Sorry, my sys is in German, menu \"Edit\" - Bearbeiten): pure word count.

Actually, if I am not working with SDLX, I do this with the original text, save it as a *rft file, translate, count words and only then I copy and paste the translation into an *.xls file... I am lazy opening and closing cells drive me crazy and make me waste time when I want to change my translation.

Cheers,

Giuliana

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-16 17:20 ]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Bug in Office 97 May 16, 2002

Beware of a bug in Excel97 when using the \"copy&paste-in-Word\" method: Excel97 will truncate any cell with more tha 255 characters. It works with Excel2k, though.

For those using Trados 5/5.5, T-Window for Excel contains an \"Analyse\" function.

Dagmar Lehner
Dagmar Lehner
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!!! May 17, 2002

Vielen Dank euch allen für die sehr interessanten Antworten!

Ich habe allerdings auch Kunden, die ganze Handbücher im Excel schreiben (mit etwa 20 Tabellenblättern pro Datei), da sie so von Kapitel zu Kapitel blättern können. Hierfür Angebote zu erstellen bzw. die Zeilen zu ermitteln ist ein Horror!

Liebe Grüße,

Martina

jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:50
Member (2005)
German to English
Save a a text file May 17, 2002

You could also save the file as a text file (tab delimited) and then use Word to count it.

Worked for me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

text count in excel-files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »