nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:57
English to French
+ ...
Mar 30, 2015

I have 50 files or so to translate.
Each translated file come out of my CAT Tool with a _fr suffix, which is OK for me. but my client would prefer the translated files to get the same names as the original ones.
Is there a way to rename all files at once by deleting this _fr without doing it manually 50 times ?
Exemple:
FIle1.docx (original) File1_fr.docx (translated file)

I run Windows 7.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:57
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Advanced Renamer Mar 30, 2015

There is no way to remove a repetitive string from multiple file names using the Windows file explorer, but you can use a tool like Advanced Renamer, Bulk Rename Utility, or the built-in tool in file managers such as Total Commander.

Also, if the language was appended to the file name by the t
... See more
There is no way to remove a repetitive string from multiple file names using the Windows file explorer, but you can use a tool like Advanced Renamer, Bulk Rename Utility, or the built-in tool in file managers such as Total Commander.

Also, if the language was appended to the file name by the translation environment tool that you have used (memoO?), you might be able to disable this behavior in the tool (Export path rules if this is indeed memoQ).

[Edited at 2015-03-30 16:44 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:57
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Invest in a file manager Mar 30, 2015

nordiste wrote:
Is there a way to rename all files at once by deleting this _fr without doing it manually 50 times ?

You should invest in a file manager like the phenomenally flexible and useful Directory Opus, which will do bulk renames and make general file management far easier. Spend a little money, save a lot of time over the long run.

Regards
Dan

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
Local time: 08:57
German to French
+ ...
A batch file Apr 1, 2015

As said by the colleagues, you have a lot of free utilities doing the job. It is sometimes more efficient to do it manually, but using a .BAT file can be very efficient. Try this :

for /f "delims=_ " %%a in ('dir /b *_fr.docx') do ren "%%~a_fr.docx" "%%~a.docx"

Put this line in a .bat file in your folder, double-click... done.

Works perfectly on my WIN 7 64 bits.

Enjoy, Adrien

Kolyas
Kolyas
Bangladesh
Bulk renaming Aug 12, 2015

For the objective like mass renaming files I had been using BatchRenameFiles Tool and also suggests it. You may give it a try. Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

mass renaming files in Windows 7

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »