How can I change the language setting in a PowerPoint doc so that the spellcheck also works
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2005

I have recently had a number of lengthy PowerPoint docs to translate and have not figured out how to change the language setting to English. I do go into tools and select UK English. However when I try to do a spell check, I always get the message that the French (or other originally set language) spelling files can not be found. How do I get this to change to English? Just doing the tools, language, default language settings does not seem to work for PowerPoint.
TIA!
ps-I have Win
... See more
I have recently had a number of lengthy PowerPoint docs to translate and have not figured out how to change the language setting to English. I do go into tools and select UK English. However when I try to do a spell check, I always get the message that the French (or other originally set language) spelling files can not be found. How do I get this to change to English? Just doing the tools, language, default language settings does not seem to work for PowerPoint.
TIA!
ps-I have Win 98-2 and Office 97

[Edited at 2005-01-30 14:27]
Collapse

Kimmy
Kimmy
Local time: 04:47
Italian to English
+ ...
I'd be interested too...... Jan 30, 2005

I have always resorted to the labourious task of selecting each text box on each slide, changing the language and then spell-checking that!

Or, cutting and pasting it all into a word doc but it's HELL trying to then change the slides!

Any takers?????

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
select everything first Jan 30, 2005

Hi there!
You need to select the entire set of PP slides to highlight them all (I work with them visible as a column on the left) and then set the language to English.
However, if you have text boxes you have to go into each box and select the text in the box to change the language setting.
HTH,
Catherine

df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
spell check Ppt Jan 30, 2005

cbolton wrote:

Hi there!
You need to select the entire set of PP slides to highlight them all (I work with them visible as a column on the left) and then set the language to English.
However, if you have text boxes you have to go into each box and select the text in the box to change the language setting.
HTH,
Catherine

I always had the same problem too!
I just tried Catherine's suggestion: it works! Thanks!
BUT what about "Comments" added below the slide (this solution doesn't seem to work for them)
dominique

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
another tip Jan 31, 2005

You can also select all the text boxes on a single slide by selecting the slide and then typing Ctrl-A to select all the text boxes. Then you can select the langage for all of these text boxes.
Unfortunately, I don't know any way to select all the text boxes of an entire file in a single operation or to select all the comments in a single operation.

[Edited at 2005-01-31 00:43]

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
English to French
+ ...
Any change... Jan 31, 2005

in the default language setting will take effect only the next time you open PowerPoint.

Bruno Magne

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the helpful tips but........ Jan 31, 2005

I was able to change the individual slides one by one to English (thanks Catherine!!). But when I finished the entire doc and wanted to do a spell check, I again got the message that there was no Dutch dictionary. So the problem remained....
Any solutions? I didn't find any difference when I rebooted the PC.

Bruno Magne
English to French
+ ...
If you have Microsoft Office... Jan 31, 2005

is your Dutch spellchecker present on your machine?

If it is and if it works correctly with Word or Excel, it should work with PowerPoint also. There is no mysterey about that, since it is what Microsoft calls Microsoft Shared in the "Common Files" folder.

Cheers
Bruno

P.S.: Does the message that pops up on you screen say that there is not Dutch dictionary installed on your machine or does it says that there is no PERSONALIZED Dutch dictionary? If thi
... See more

If it is and if it works correctly with Word or Excel, it should work with PowerPoint also. There is no mysterey about that, since it is what Microsoft calls Microsoft Shared in the "Common Files" folder.

Cheers
Bruno

P.S.: Does the message that pops up on you screen say that there is not Dutch dictionary installed on your machine or does it says that there is no PERSONALIZED Dutch dictionary? If this is the case, you should create it.
Collapse

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no NL Dico present in my Word program Jan 31, 2005

Bruno Magne wrote:

Cheers
Bruno

P.S.: Does the message that pops up on you screen say that there is not Dutch dictionary installed on your machine or does it says that there is no PERSONALIZED Dutch dictionary? If this is the case, you should create it.

What I mean is, I change the default language to UK English for each and every %^(*!#@$ slide in the doc and THEN when I want to spell check the ENTIRE doc, supposedly with English as default language, all I get is a ***** message saying that a Dutch dico could not be found and the UK dico never kicks at all. It is positively maddening when there are over 50 slides. Can anything be done for the UK dico to kick in when I try to spellcheck the completed, supposedly UK default language doc?

Bruno Magne
English to French
+ ...
Keep cool, broth Jan 31, 2005

Things are clearer now

As I said in my first message, if you change the default language, let's say from French to English, this change will TAKE EFFECT ONLY the next time you open PowerPoint. You may change the default language on your currently active presentation as many times as you wish, by the time you are finished translating, when you launch the spell checker, PwP won't budge and go back to the original default language.

The only solution in your present situati
... See more
Things are clearer now

As I said in my first message, if you change the default language, let's say from French to English, this change will TAKE EFFECT ONLY the next time you open PowerPoint. You may change the default language on your currently active presentation as many times as you wish, by the time you are finished translating, when you launch the spell checker, PwP won't budge and go back to the original default language.

The only solution in your present situation may be solved the following way:

1) Go slide by slide. Don't wait till you're finished to spell check your text.

2) In order to select and spell check the slide your are working on, the best way (very tedious for it takes a lot of time) to proceed is: Once you are finished translating any given textbox, select its entire content with the mouse, go to Tools-->Language and select the language you need AND SPELL CHECK IT. Then go to the next textbox, if there is any, and repeat this same process. Another way is, once you have translated the whole slide, selecting it all (on my Brazilian PowerPoint version, I use the CTRL + T command) and changing the language.

3) I would advise you to use Wordfast, since it's very easy to use and it's quite good to translate Powerpoint presentations and you would not have to worry any more about spell checking.

Best of luck

Bruno Magne

P.S.: If you use Skype, call me at Traduzir.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I change the language setting in a PowerPoint doc so that the spellcheck also works

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »