OE 6 doesn't receive or send from Hotmail unless I'm logged in on the site
Thread poster: linadia
linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 5, 2005

Hello,

Outlook Express 6 stopped dowloading or sending messages from my Hotmail accounts.

It works only when I log in on the site. But then when the webpage is closed, the problem persists.

instead of the usual folders, there's that message with the subject "please visit hotmail.com". It says:

To help protect our users from automatically generated junk e-mail (or spam), MSN Hotmail periodically asks for identity verification.

and
... See more
Hello,

Outlook Express 6 stopped dowloading or sending messages from my Hotmail accounts.

It works only when I log in on the site. But then when the webpage is closed, the problem persists.

instead of the usual folders, there's that message with the subject "please visit hotmail.com". It says:

To help protect our users from automatically generated junk e-mail (or spam), MSN Hotmail periodically asks for identity verification.

and it gives a dead link.

I tried to reply to the message or send a message to Homail support but it did not work.

Any ideas?

Thank you

nadia
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
no longer supported Feb 5, 2005

Hi Nadia,

I had a similar problem with 2 newish accounts that I set up for my kids.
My old account still works from OE, but when I tried with the new ones there was no way of making it work.
I investigated a bit (googled the newsgroups) and found out that Hotmail is no longer supporting the protocol to allow OE and other third party programs to check for FREE ACCOUNTS.
So all the new free accounts can't be checked from OE and the older ones will gradually stop wor
... See more
Hi Nadia,

I had a similar problem with 2 newish accounts that I set up for my kids.
My old account still works from OE, but when I tried with the new ones there was no way of making it work.
I investigated a bit (googled the newsgroups) and found out that Hotmail is no longer supporting the protocol to allow OE and other third party programs to check for FREE ACCOUNTS.
So all the new free accounts can't be checked from OE and the older ones will gradually stop working
When trying to check a newer account some people reported having received a message requesting them to upgrade to Hotmail Plus (or however the paid service is called) as this service supports third party checking.

FWIW,
Grace.
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:03
English to Turkish
+ ...
In case you consider trying Foxmail Feb 6, 2005

it installs a Hotmail proxy in your system, and you can use your Hotmail account on it. I'm not sure how it makes it, but it checks and receives Yahoo mails, too. (Yahoo had restricted this to paid accounts long time ago, and it was impossible to receive Yahoo mails in OE unless you upgraded.) Btw, Foxmail is a free program, at least for now.

[Edited at 2005-02-06 01:26]

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back to normal again, don't know how Feb 9, 2005

Hello all,

Thank you for your replies.

Everything is back to normal again. It seems it was temporary.

Grace, I think you can try adding your kids' Hotmail accounts again and see if it works.

Best regards
nadia

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
it's been a while now but might be helpful Feb 24, 2005

I've just received this form hotmail:

"Dear MSN Member,

Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer experience and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services, Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express.

We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt from thi
... See more
I've just received this form hotmail:

"Dear MSN Member,

Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer experience and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services, Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express.

We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt from this restriction and you will be able to continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook or Outlook Express. However, any new Hotmail or MSN accounts you create will not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook Express.

Because you actively use Outlook or Outlook Express to access one or more of your MSN Hotmail or MSN e-mail accounts, this could be the ideal time to consider subscribing to our powerful new
e-mail service - Microsoft Office Outlook Live.

As an Outlook Live subscriber, not only can you get uninterrupted access to your MSN e-mail accounts from Outlook, but you will also enjoy many other benefits.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
As a thank-you for your loyalty to MSN, we'd like to offer you a 25% discount off the regular price of a year's subscription to Outlook Live. Sign up by April 19, 2005, and you can enjoy all your first year's benefits for just £29.99 instead of £39.99*. "....(all the info about Outlook live follows)
Collapse

ricka0
ricka0
English
Just Move Off Hotmail Feb 26, 2005

http://moveonhotmail.com/ will show you how to do it.

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
it's a commercial offering Feb 26, 2005

ricka0 wrote:

http:// moveonhotmail com/ will show you how to do it.

Dear ricka0,

I see you've just registered to "help" people on this matter.

If what you mean to move on from Hotmail to GMail is to set a reply address in Hotmail (which everyone can do for FREE in Options - Email replies) to your new FREE GMail address, so all the messages start arriving to the GMail account, which now offers POP support for FREE, I don't see the point in paying you for the advice, when the options are open to everyone.

Best regards,
Grace.

ps. btw, if anyone wants a "free" GMail acount, I have plenty of invitations to give away.

[Edited at 2005-02-26 10:13]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OE 6 doesn't receive or send from Hotmail unless I'm logged in on the site

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »