Thread poster: MARCELA RUIZ
MARCELA RUIZ
MARCELA RUIZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2005

I have translated a .doc with 79 footnotes with Trados. Everything seemed to be o.k. but when I cleaned the doc I realized that footnotes 41 to 47 are numbered 33-39, and footnotes 48 to 66 are numbered 90-108.
Now, I tried to replace number 33 with 41 in a number of ways, even deleted the footnote and inserted it again specifying "start with number 41". However, when I hit "OK" the number of the footnote appears as 31...
I'm at a loss .... any help appreciated.
TIA
Marce
... See more
I have translated a .doc with 79 footnotes with Trados. Everything seemed to be o.k. but when I cleaned the doc I realized that footnotes 41 to 47 are numbered 33-39, and footnotes 48 to 66 are numbered 90-108.
Now, I tried to replace number 33 with 41 in a number of ways, even deleted the footnote and inserted it again specifying "start with number 41". However, when I hit "OK" the number of the footnote appears as 31...
I'm at a loss .... any help appreciated.
TIA
Marcela
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:59
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Look at "insert footnote" Feb 10, 2005

and check the numbering options there.

Usually this is the way to change such functions.

Regards
Jerzy

MARCELA RUIZ
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already tried Feb 10, 2005

Thanks, but I already tried that and made sure to write "41" in "start with nbr..." but when I hit "apply" or "ok" it puts "31" instead of "41"...

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 04:59
English to Estonian
+ ...
Unfortunately footnotes corrupt easily Feb 10, 2005

Unfortunately footnotes are one of the MS Word's many weak spots. They get corrupted easily, I've had horrible nightmares trying to fix them in large complicated documents. (And this was in regular editing, not in translation software, where risks geometrically increase due to segmenting and duplicating of items from source segment).

Of course the reason for your problem could be easier, I'm just generally advising against the use of automatic footnotes. I only use manual ones these
... See more
Unfortunately footnotes are one of the MS Word's many weak spots. They get corrupted easily, I've had horrible nightmares trying to fix them in large complicated documents. (And this was in regular editing, not in translation software, where risks geometrically increase due to segmenting and duplicating of items from source segment).

Of course the reason for your problem could be easier, I'm just generally advising against the use of automatic footnotes. I only use manual ones these days.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:59
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Marcela Feb 10, 2005

MARCELA RUIZ wrote:
...but when I cleaned the doc I realized that footnotes 41 to 47 are numbered 33-39, and footnotes 48 to 66 are numbered 90-108.

Could you please tell what happened to ## 1-40, 40-47 and 67 to 79? In other words, is the numbering related to some document structure (chapters etc.)?

MARCELA RUIZ
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Numbers correspond to footnotes Feb 10, 2005

Natalie wrote:

MARCELA RUIZ wrote:
...but when I cleaned the doc I realized that footnotes 41 to 47 are numbered 33-39, and footnotes 48 to 66 are numbered 90-108.

Could you please tell what happened to ## 1-40, 40-47 and 67 to 79? In other words, is the numbering related to some document structure (chapters etc.)?

What happened is that footnotes should be numbered automatically correlated from 1 to 79. I don't know why, after cleaning the doc translated with Trados, footnotes are numbered like this: 1 to 40, then 33 to 39, then 90 to 108, and then the correct correlative numbering starts again from 67 to 79.
I cannot fix, nor can I explain what happened, the numbering so that footnotes are numbered from 1 to 79 correclatively as in the original doc.
I wanted to know whether there is a way to "re-number" footnotes all at the same time, because I tried to re-number the wrong ones and has been impossible so far.
TIA

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 04:59
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dublecheck Insert Footnote Feb 11, 2005

1. I know Jerzy mentioned this before. But double-check the following settings one more time in the Footnote Endnote dialog:

Number format: 1,2,3, ...
Start at: 1
Numbering: Continuous
Apply changes to: Whole document

2. If this still does not work, then you can take full control at the expense of additional labor as follows:

Go to Normal View
From the View menu select "Footnotes"
In the resulting split screen:
Select "Al
... See more
1. I know Jerzy mentioned this before. But double-check the following settings one more time in the Footnote Endnote dialog:

Number format: 1,2,3, ...
Start at: 1
Numbering: Continuous
Apply changes to: Whole document

2. If this still does not work, then you can take full control at the expense of additional labor as follows:

Go to Normal View
From the View menu select "Footnotes"
In the resulting split screen:
Select "All Footnotes" from the selection box separating the windows
You will see all your footnotes listed in the lower window, when you place the cursor inside a footnote, The referring text in the document body will appear in the upper window. Each time, you edit a footnote number in the lower window, you should see the change appearing also in the upper window. You will have to do them one by one I believe.

Alaa

[Edited at 2005-02-11 00:10]
Collapse

MARCELA RUIZ
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tnx!! Feb 11, 2005

Thank you very much, Alaa
I think I will have to do that, because I had already tried with the settings as you said and did not work.
Tnx to all who replied!
Marcela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MSWord Footnotes: change numbers

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »