Thread poster: Joop Fraikin

Joop Fraikin  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:13
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 5, 2005

Hi all,

I would like to print out the list of files (filenames) in een specific directory. I use Win XP Pro and MS Office Pro. Does anyone know how this works or if it is at all possible?

MTIA !

Thank you for your help everybody. I particularly like the free software solutions, much easier than DOS I think. Thanks!

[Edited at 2005-04-05 12:10]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
dir > dir.txt Apr 5, 2005

Hi Joop,

Open a DOS prompt, cd to the desired directory and type

dir > dir.txt

This will create a file (dir.txt) listing all the files in that directory.

HTH
Stefan

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Easy Step by Step Apr 5, 2005

1. Click the Windows Start button, then click Run

2. In the Run dialog box, type: command.com, then click OK to open a DOS window (command window in Win 2000/XP)

3. You should see a new window containing a command prompt (such as C:\>) with a cursor blinking to the right of the prompt

4. For best results, maximize the window to fill the full screen

5. At the command prompt, type the CD command (Change Directory) to navigate to the folder you wish to list, then press Enter

For example, at the C:\> prompt, type: CD Windows, then press the Enter key to change the current folder from the root level of the C: drive to a folder named "Windows"

To display the contents of a folder with more than 8 characters and/or spaces in the folder name, type the 1st six letters of the name without spaces, followed by the ~ (tilde) character and the number 1 (or 2 if more than 1 folder begins with the same six characters)

For example, My Documents becomes mydocu~1

6. At the prompt, type: dir/p, then press the Enter key

7. A list of folders and/or files in that location will appear on screen - the /p switch pauses the display if the list would normally scroll off the screen too quickly

8. Before you press Enter to display the next screen, click the tiny DOS icon located in the upper left corner of the DOS window (on the Title Bar)

9. Select Edit, then click Mark

10. Once you've selected the Mark option, you can use the mouse or the keyboard to select (highlight) all of the entries in the file list just as you would select text in other applications

11. Press the Enter key to copy the selection to the Windows Clipboard

12. Open any text editor (Notepad works best) and choose Paste

13. From the text editor you can print the file list using the normal Print commands for that application.

Try it. It should work

Siegfried

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:13
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
If DOS scares you a little... Apr 5, 2005

you can follow this somewhat shorter path:

1) Open the notepad and type "dir/b > dirlist.txt".

2) Save the file as a .bat file (e.g. "listing.bat"), by changing the "type" field to "All files (*.*)" in the "Save as" dialog box (notice the icon change afterwards).

3) Double click on this bat file to create a "dirlist.txt" file with the current folder's content.

You can create/copy the bat to any directory you want listed, of course. Check here for further options for the dir command.

Hope it helps!

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
DIR command Apr 5, 2005

You can also use (after changing to your directory according to Siegfried's instructions):

dir >filename.txt

This way, the output of the dir command will be written to a text file instead on screen. You can open the file in any text editor and edit or print.

Use dir /? to display more parameters of the dir command (e.g. /B for simple format and /O for sorting).

There are also utilities for printing file lists, for example MasterLister.

Ian M-H
United States
Local time: 11:13
German to English
+ ...
Freeware directory printer Apr 5, 2005

Joop Fraikin wrote:
I would like to print out the list of files (filenames) in een specific directory.

There are quite a few free programs out there that will do this - and give you an editable ASCII file in case you only need to list some files for a client.

One I use is JR Directory Printer:

http://www.spadixbd.com/freetools/jdirprint.htm

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Send to X Powertoy Apr 13, 2005

Joop Fraikin wrote:
I would like to print out the list of files (filenames) in een specific directory. I use Win XP Pro and MS Office Pro. Does anyone know how this works or if it is at all possible?

I know this is not for you, but on Windows 95 I have found the following useful:
http://www.aumha.org/a/powertoy.htm

You highlight all the files, then right-click and choose "Send to" and then "Clipboard as filename", and then paste in Notepad.

The reason I mention this is that the dir > dir.txt solution in Windows 95 tends to print 8.3 file names even though a directory listing will show long file names.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Printing file lists

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs