Help: Word creates lines and changes numbers
Thread poster: schmurr

schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
Italian to German
+ ...
Apr 15, 2005

Hi,
I'm writing a translation in the 2nd column of client's document, and with each return Word draws a line above and under the paragraph. Moreover there's several times "G" + a number between square brackets in the original text, and when I copy and paste it, the number changes (seem to be kind of footnotes).
Please help!
Martin from Udine/Italy

[Edited at 2005-04-15 13:15]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
copy source Apr 15, 2005

Try copying the original to the 2nd column and then overwrite. Try not to insert additional paragraphs that are not present within the source.

HTH
Stefan

schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Stefan! Apr 15, 2005

unfortunately I've just finished the translation because it was urgent...
How can I get away those lines??
and even if I copy and paste all (I have another small doc to do), chapter no. 1 becomes 10, 2 becomes 11 etc...and you can't change them!! Why is Word's creator still alive?

[Edited at 2005-04-15 15:10]

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
automatic numbering? Apr 16, 2005

I can't help you with the lines, but from what you say about the 'G plus a number between brackets', it sounds like automatic numbering. You can easily check this by opening Tools/Options/View/and selecting 'When selected' for 'Field shading:' in the 'Show' section, and then selecting one of the numbers. If the number is shown in a grey box, it's being generated by a field code (which is effectively a sort of built-in macro in Word).
When an automatic numbering field is used, each instance of the field in the document is automatically assigned a sequential number in the order of occurrence (this is commonly used for automatic page and figure numbering, and Word uses it for footnote numbers). That means you shouldn't copy and paste such items into the translation. The simplest solution is to type the same number as you see in the source into the translation, but if you do this, the numbers in the translation won't match the numbers in the source if the source text is subsequently revised such that the sequence is changed.
I think Word provides a means to change automatic numbering to hard (non-automatic) numbering, but I'm not sure you can do this selectively; consult Word Help. A more sophisticated solution would be to create a new automatic numbering field item for the translation text to parallel the one in the source text, which I believe you can do; again consult Word Help for this.

[Edited at 2005-04-16 22:18]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Word creates lines and changes numbers

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs